Hello all. As I told you before on this site, I adopted a cat. I keep her inside the house, the majority of time. I have my niece coming over every Friday so I allow her to take the cat outside to play with her. It happened two times that I’ve noticed a tick on her skin and I immediately removed it, both times. But what I’ve also noticed is that my cat started to be allergic to meat. A friend told me that these events could be related. What do you think. Could this allergy be caused by a tick bite?

I believe it sounds funny to you and to everyone else who is reading this and never heard of it before, but that is actually true. Tick bites could actually lead to meat allergy which is a condition that can easily be life threatening.

I don’t have any experience with it, and I never heard that animals can develop this too. I know that there are many cases where people got bitten by this specific type of tick later discovered that they are allergic to red meat. The type of tick is called ‘’The Lone Star tick’’. I don’t know if this applies to animals though.

Hey guys,

I heard about these ticks, too. They carry a type of sugar called alpha gal which is also found in red meat, but not in humans or animals. When they bite an animal, they transfer the alpha gal in its bloodstream and that is how they become allergic to red meat.

These ticks are now spreading a lot and there are more and more cases of this red meat allergy reported. So I guess it's true.

On the other hand, you shouldn't let your cat get ticks on her skin. There are a lot of things you can do about that, look around and do something..

Hello. That is totally true. It can happen to all cats. So I believe that this is the case in your dog as well. For a long time tick bites are connected with meat allergy.  Now I am not that familiar with this, but one of my friends told me that this can cause some other allergies and that needs to be treated. I don’t know, I have never been near some cat that has this issue and since I don’t have a cat as well I don’t know that much about it.  But I believe that you should use some medications for it.

Well, I actually had no idea that this can happen. I saw this topic and I was thinking – that is so funny, let me see some comments. I had no idea that meat allergy is linked with tick bite :/

Yesterday my friend asked me the same thing. I told her that this is not possible. It still seems impossible to me, but now when I am reading all your comments, it definitely makes sense.

I will let her know. Actually, I am calling her now to let her know that she can read a little bit about it. Thank you so much!

Hey friends.

Like others told you, it definitely can. I found out this a few months ago when my friend’s dog was diagnosed with this problem. It is called Alpha – gal allergy and it is reaction to alpha 1.3 galactose.

Bites from the lone star tick have been implicated in the development of the delayed allergic response. This transfer carbos to your cat. I don’t know but when I was reading about this it was very complicated for me to understand. I asked my vet and he explained so good this to me. Maybe you should do the same thing :)

Hey everyone,

Yes, I heard about these ticks not so long ago. I have a friend back in Australia whose dog was bitten by this tick. Now he is allergic to red meat.

This was very funny to me when she told me for the first time and I didn't believe her. I told her to go visit the vet or something, because there is probably something wrong with her pet. She just told me to search on google about this.

And there it was, a tick called The Lone Star tick can bite you and make you allergic to red meat. How cool is that?

Hi everyone. Well you are not the only one who were really surprised about this fact. When my friend told me about this for the first time I didn’t trust her. At all.

She tried to prove me that she is right and that meat allergy in cat can be caused by tick bite. Since I have cat I went to talk with my vet about this issue and he told me that this is true. He told me that tick are spreading a lot and that this can happen to every cat.

According to his words there is no way to prevent it.