I am concerned about something. Few days ago my girlfriend’s cat scratched me. The cat is healthy but I can not stop thinking that I could have contracted some disease. Can you tell me more about it?

If you are too worried, then I advise you to visit your doctor. Cat-scratch disease is an uncommon infection that results from a cat's scratch or bite and most sufferers experience only moderate discomfort. Their symptoms clear up without any lasting harm after a few weeks or months so professional medical treatment is rarely needed. Cat-scratch disease is caused by the Bartonella henselae bacterium, which is found in cats and kittens are more likely than adult cats to be carrying the infection. Bartonella henselae can infect people who are scratched or bitten or by a cat. It cannot be passed from person to person and the first sign of cat-scratch disease may be a small blister at the site of a scratch or bite. This blister occurs three to 10 days after injury and it often looks like an insect bite and is usually found on the hands, arms, or head. When it comes to treatment, antibiotics are prescribed in some cases. This is particularly the case when complications occur or the lymph nodes remain swollen and painful for more than two or three months.