Hi! I need some info regarding swelling after spider bite. I just got back from the States, I was in St. Louis for weeks and I think some sort of spider bitted me while I was walking along the Mississippi 8 days ago. I first felt strong burning sensation at the bite site, I am positive it is some sort of spider and the pain also was awful I even had nausea. All these symptoms are gone but this swelling is still here and this wound looks so ugly and it looks like it is developing on some sort of ulcer and it is hard and painful on touch and anyway is it normal having this swelling after spider bite this long? Thanks much!

According to the fact you were walking along the Mississippi and according to the symptoms than it is more likely some brown recluse spider have bitted you-that is about where he lives anyway. You try to put some antibiotic spray on the wound for it could easily get inflamed and in fact this wound is an ulcer that sometimes take months to heal but there is no special treatment or meds to be taken you just need to watch this ulcer not to get inflamed and in the case of inflammation antibiotics are being prescribed. Sometimes the condition may get worse that is the wound may get deeper and if so than some sort of surgery is required. Anyway swelling after spider bite is very common and it usually goes on its own but you may apply some cold packages in order to reduce spider bite swelling. And if you still feel weakness and nausea I advice you do some blood test for if swelling after spider bites is actually a tough blister than you better have some medical control for in some cases these bites may cause even hemolytic anemia-meaning damage of the red blood cells