For a very long time I have struggled with extremely severe anxiety (due to many reasons including a recent death of a family member at a young age). After years of not managing my stress levels, I began to suffer physical symptoms that I have been told are in direct relation to my high anxiety. The first of these, which occurred around 2 years ago, is the dreaded ACID REFLUX/GERD. My stress has still been very high and I have tried a number of different drugs (protonix, prilosec, omeprazole, prevacid, etc.) to no avail. Exercise helps tremendously but not enough. The dietary changes have helped, but very minimally. At this point, I have suffered the reflux about 2 years. The reflux itself is so severe that I (sometimes) sort of throw up in my mouth/projectile vomit. I am now 22 years old, and am beginning to experience other symptoms on top of the reflux (which I suspect are in direct relation to the reflux) such as upper chest pain (sometimes a "stabbing"-like/pinched nerve feeling pain that affects concentrated areas of my upper chest and tends to come and go), upper back pain, and most concerning to me, neck and back of head pain. My lymph nodes are swollen, and my throat is very red and irritated. On top of that, the worse the reflux gets, the harder it is for me to breath. It often seems to block my airways when laying down and shocks me out of bed having to gasp for a breath of air when I am trying to fall asleep. I have been to the doctors many times, and they have not been able to give me a clear answer as to what is wrong, other than all these terrible symptoms could all be caused by acid reflux. I have done ekg, extensive blood work on multiple occasions, etc. I know I can get my reflux under control with stress reduction, but I'm worried about the back of head pain. I'm worried that it is caused by not being able to get enough oxygen throughout the day with reflux seeming to block my airways at times. I now have a very confused/feeling unreal feeling most of the time, and like I am on the verge of passing out most of the day. I know that not getting enough air can cause any number of symptoms such as reduced blood flow, potential for blood clot, increased risk of stroke... Anyone experience similar problems and have any advice. I know the severe back of head pain has to be in some relation to this reflux because it gets worse when I drink coffee (Which I absolutely cut out completely until I manage this problem)...

Hi daversd296324,
I´ve Chronic backpain since 14 years ago and i´m absolutly convenced that as to do with acid reflux.
I also know that cofee is a poison for the stomach and also chocolat and other food.
Anxiety is a cause and an effect and it becamos completely confused to my mind and the chronical pain turns in un adiction thtas very dificult to cure. Medication just causae some relieve of shyntoms and brings more problems in the near future. Doctors don´t understand this problem and i discover it by myself.
To reduce pains i do meditation, walking and bike exercise. I am accepting better the pains because i can relate them with the stomach. Its not ease because its very dificult to diagnose. Hope it can be better understood in future by doctors and patients. Meditation is the best for stress reduction im sure of that. Hug from portugal and Be happy.