I have a dilemma. I keep hearing about the protein intake and how important it is. Some suggest that I should eat huge amounts of protein before running. Some other say that I should work out on an empty stomach and eat protein after the race. I am confused. Please help me. Should I eat protein before or after running?

It depends on your goals. If you want to lose a few pounds than you can run on empty stomach. Even then a small amount of protein (especially BCAAs) should be consumed. If you want to run for the good form you can eat moderate amount before the run. Generally you shouldn’t eat at least two hours before the moderate or long run. Working out with full stomach can bring you plenty of trouble. The best way is to have a small protein meal or drink two hours before the run. Immediately after the race you can have a post workout formula of carbs and protein in 4:1 ratio. One hour later you can have a complex carb meal with plenty of high quality protein. Keep in mind that your protein needs are not as high as those of bodybuilders so you don’t have to overdo it. The sufficient amount of protein for an average runner would be a 1.2g/kg (2.7/lb)of body weight.

You should have protein after you exercise. People always tell me not to drink protein before you exercise because it can have drastic negative actions to your body.

Your overall nutrition should contain enough protein that the "hit" just before or just after should be negligible. That being said, eating something balanced within 20 minutes after your workout will help you recover, and prepare you well for your next workout. The research on that is easy to find around the internet, and fairly common now. Good luck!

Hi from a newbie guys!! Did not see the intro thread, so hello!!! Anyway I agree you should have protein after you exercise, that's when your body needs it..

F2B

Protein breakdown occurs during and shortly after exercise. When the liver notices falling blood glucose from exercise either caused by little food before exercise, no carbohydrate drink during resulting in low levels during exercise a break down of muscle protein can occur. Taking in adequate protein and carbohydrate afterwards from 15 minutes to 4 hours from finishing exercise stops lean muscle loss.

Protein bars are an easy immediate source after exercise and so is soya milk. You can also get protein from beef, chicken, eggs, fish, milk, yogurt and vegetarians from almonds, baked beans, cashew nuts, chick peas, kidney beans, lentils, peanut butter, Soya milk, spinach, sunflower seeds, tofu and nuts.

Because glucose is the preferred energy source for most exercise, a pre-exercise meal should include foods that are high in carbohydrates and easy to digest. This include foods such as pasta, fruits, breads, energy bars and drinks. However, you would need to let this food digest before working out which may take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. Go with the fruits, they are the easiest to digest.

if you want to develop muscles then before training, because otherwise your body will take energy from muscles and that's not good - i mean this way you will loose mass... But if you want to reduce the size of your body then go running on empty stomach - which means proteins after the run...

I always eat after running. I think that's more efficient protein intake.