Hi. I'm 20 and I just started working out, so I'm not much experienced. I have the dilemma about taking protein shakes. Some veterans in my gym advise me to take it before my workout, while the others tell I should drink it after workout. Who is correct? Should I drink it before or after? I'd like to get the most benefit from it, but honestly I'm confused. Thank you.

Hello. Protein shakes have benefits both before and after workout, but if you have to choose, then drink it after workout. Before a workout, your primary dietary focus should be on carbohydrates, because they digest far quicker than protein and fat. They practically give you energy boost and prepare you for the workout. So carbs should be your pre-workout choice. Taking proteins post-workout helps ensure a positive protein balance, perturbed by workout. Protein balance is vital for muscle growth. However, adding protein to your pre-workout carbs can increase strength compared to eating carbs alone. So you can't go wrong, however taking protein shakes after workout is common practice.

See there are different types of protein shake both pre and post workout depends on you what type of suppliment do you have..?