1. Have any of you tried any of the pre-workout "stacker" products? Thoughts/comments? Looks like all they are is a shot of caffeine to help kick-start your workout. What am I missing here?

2. Protein Isolate - I tried an Isopure "ion exchange whey protein isolate" drink after my workout today for the first time. It was like a fruit drink with 40g of protein, zero carbs, no aspartame or preservatives, & 160 calories. Any of you tried this before? How does it compare with the traditional whey protein shakes made with low-fat milk? (Seems like I'm losing some calories.)

I guess the bottom line is that if its liquid protein (30 - 40 grams) and you take it post-workout within 90 minutes, it doesn't really matter which protein supplement you take?

I only use sports drinks, Gatorade, Accelerade, and Endurox R4.

Caffine does prolong endurance activities. Just be carefull on how much because it is a diuretic.

Post workout: The body can only absorb 23-24 g of protein at a time so anything over that is a waste of money. If I am going from the gym to work I use R4. If I am at home, I have some chocolate milk, shower then a meal.

Post workout I do a recovery drink+protein (16-20 ounces mixed together)

Pre-workout, good old H2O

Really? Why is that? I've never heard that before.

It has to do with how fast the kidneys can process the protien. I can't find the article now. I might be able to look later. This is also the reason for increased kidney stones with people who are on the Atkins diet.

If you've got some links to more information on that, I'd be forever in your debt.

Please do TriBob. Most of the whey protein shakes I've seen have 30 - 45 gms of protein.

For faster recoveries I am an Endurox fan.

I'm not on Atkins or a low-carb diet, at all. I'm watching my refined carb intake no doubt, but I still enjoy breads, pastas, crackers. I'm also not a risk for kidney stones, therfore I don't see how that would apply to me.

Many muscle/fitness mags I've seen advocate a whey protein shake and energy/protein bar for post-workout meal within 60 minutes.

Thats good.

I am for protein after a workout and whey is supposed to be a great source. To fit 40 grams of protein into one meal is a lot especially for an endurance athlete.

I've come across that too Bob. Since the body only absorbs so much protein at a sitting, the rest just becomes colon fill. That'd be why I guess most Atkins dieters are so blasted constipated.

One thing I did and was eye-opening was to take the protein and other nutritional information of something like Jogmate and compare it to something like sardines. Ya know what? Those two things are identical in nutritional impact. During hard training periods, I do the post workout sardine can and that's my supplement

I am a huge fan of this stuff too!!!! For me it is worth the price.

If this stuff is true... How long do you think it takes your kidneys to process protein?

I've done some research about recommended protein intake & timing. I haven't found anything that says your body can only absorb ~25 grams of protein at any one time. Everything I've read says you should take around .80 to 1 gram of protein (and 2 grams of carbs) each day for every pound you weigh (if you are actively weight training). This article on Muscle & Fitness' web site says it doesn't really matter if you take ALL of your daily protein in one setting.

Is it best to eat protein every four hours or can one huge payload of protein be enough for the whole day? One study of young women found that dividing protein intake into a number of small meals eaten at intervals throughout the day offered no advantage over eating it all as one midday meal. Whole-body protein turnover and nitrogen balance were the same regardless of eating pattern. Although the women weren't bodybuilders, no one can say for sure that one eating pattern is better than another for bodybuilders where protein is concerned.

I will continue to keep researching this topic online.

Interesting. Keep it coming.