Hi. I am 5'6 and I am overweight. I've been trying to lose a weight for almost a year now. I was 280lbs and today I'm at 247lbs. Just Atkins diet helped me lose this weight. I didn't have any sort of exercise or workout routine. I'm planning to start working out, but the problem is that I have never really been to the gym. I was hoping more experienced people here may be able to give me some advice. Also, i need an advice regarding nutrition. Should I stick to Atkins or should I follow different eating plan?

Hello. Well, there is pre-workout and post-workout nutrition. Both are equally important if you want to build muscle. You need energy before workout so your pre-workout nutrition should include low GI carbs, as well as protein-rich foods. I like omelette made of 2 egg whites and spinach, with wholegrain toast and glass of soy milk. You can make a smoothie instead. Use skim or soy milk and high GI fruits, such as pineapple, mango or peach. Add some flaxseed as well. Smaller snacks will help you boost your blood sugar levels and that's especially good for cardio workout. After workout first you have to hydrate good. Chocolate milk is one of the best options after workout, as it's best source of proteins and carbs, plus it's good for hydration. Then you'll need protein and carbohydrate rich foods, because dietary proteins and carbohydrates help you repair and build the muscles. Whether you choose protein shake or meal it should be taken within 2 hours  of a workout. Use spinach, chicken or turkey, fish, cottage cheese, low fat milk, greek yogurt, eggs. These foods provide you with high quality protein and every essential vitamin and mineral. You may use smoothies but they're just a quick fix. Whole foods are better choice. I don't think that Atkins is good choice for workout. Personally, I wouldn't stick to it.

Only exercise can not give you your desired fitness and body weigh , you need a well planed diet program if you have access weight then you need to avoid all food that has fatty acids along with sugary items and soft drinks and wine as well ,processed food and snacks are also not good for weight lose programs you must consult some nutritionist for proper diet plan