My wife is in her 6th month of pregnancy. Until now, there were not any medical problems. She went regularly to her control checks, they were all ok, she is present at the exercise classes for pregnant women, organized in the hospital and she generally feel great (so do I, I have to ad). Anyway, she has been having some problems with abdominal skin for couple of days. She scratches all the time so we are both afraid that it might be case of severe pruritus.

It is not likely that it is severe pruritus in her case, maybe only light variant. Pruritus itself in pregnancy is a rare case; it affects only 1-8% of pregnant women. The symptoms she has (itching), are more frequent at night. I recommend that you visit her doctor just to prevent emerging of sever pruritus. Usually, pruritus disappears after the baby is born.

I experienced that in my 2nd trimester as well, but it was due to the skin being dry and stretching. Vitamin E oil (pure) is great to rub gently into the skin, it will not only reduce the itch, but also help ward off stretch marks and aid in repairing the skin if stretch marks have already occurred.
I hope this helps your wife. Perhaps it's something you could do for her while bonding with your unborn baby?