I don't know if it is normal or what. Its hard to explain but i wish you can get what I'm trying to explain. When I was younger, whenever I'm sick, I always dream of like a mountain of sand, then I think I will die, then I woke up crying. I dont tell it to my parents before because i think they wouldn't understand what I am talking about. If you can help me with this, thanks in advance. xx

If this helps, I had strange dreams when I was sick when I was young too. It seemed to have to do with having a high fever. They only happened when I was really sick. It happened first when I had the Measles when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I was in my parents bed because it was closer to where my mother would be during the day. It was a nice soft bed with feather pillows. To me it felt like I was on a hard sheet of plywood with a thin blanket over it and it would rise up until I was almost being pressed against the ceiling then come back down. That happened several times over 2 or 3 days until the fever went down. I don't remember it happening when I slept at night, only during the day when I dozed off.

It happened a couple other times when I had a fever but it didn't happen any more after I was 13 or 14.

Quinshie~ rest assured, you are normal.

As a rule, dreams are strange. They are abstract & usually very symbolic and hard to fully understand. Everyone has strange dreams and sometimes, certain ones are more significant than others. Because you were ill, your physical self was more hypersensitive and this would have influenced the lucidity of the dream (how real it all felt). Some people have lucid dreams without being ill- some lucid dreams can be very pleseant & some, damn right scary. However, a lot of people tend to only have them when they're sick or under a lot of stress.

The sand- the symbol in your dream- is a sign of dehydration. In a sense, your mind was warning you- it was telling you that you needed to drink something, so gave you the very scary thought that you would die. Think about the sand- we know that sand usually means hot, arid places & long stretches of land devoid of water. In this case, you were visualising a symbol that was your minds way of telling you "Hey! Wake up! Your body needs some water, here!".

I'm pretty sure your parents would understand. While it felt horrible & you can't shake it off- it's a dream & we all have them. You are young & believe me, you have some horrible dreams to come yet- and some very pleasurable ones!

Dreams can be physical messages as well as psychological ones, so it's always wise to look at how you were feeling physically at the time it occured. Fore example- dreaming of running water or going to the toilet can mean you need to pee. In your case, you were ill each time you had the dream & it was very lucid, so I'm guessing it was your bodies way of communicating with you while you were subconscious.

Njoylife~ you're right; it is because Quinshie was ill, just as you were yourself. The reason your lucid dream didn't happen at night is more than likely down to the daylight that was filtering through the blinds/curtains, etc. Lucid dreaming- as you have both explained your dreams as- is a mismatch of sleep chemicals in the brain. There are different neurotransmitters in the brain that work to relax the body & mind in to a sleep state. If these neuroT's don't match (so that the body is semi-paralysed & the brain is ready to slip in to REM sleep- rapid eye movement sleep- this is when dreaming occurs during sleep), the body and mind experience a kind of sub-reality, where the person is in a dreamstate, but connected  to what is going on in the waking world.  

You may not have lucid dreams again- dreams are very individually experienced thing.

Anyway- good luck to you both & be assured- dreams are dreams & nothing to be ashamed of or worry about. They can be good, scary, forgettable, annoying or inspirational. If you are interested in the symbology of dreams- there are a few good websites for interpretation, just be careful of the ones that claim dreams are foretelling. They are simply the brains way of organising information, sending messages from the body & throwing up repressed psychological feelings!

Sweet dreams.

V

When I was young I used to get dreams about things I really wanted and might be about to get. The strange thing is they were always a disappointment in the dream. Like when I was about 13 and I was helping a friend (much older) build his house. He was going to give me a .22 rifle he had when he was a kid, for my efforts. In my dream I had the rifle but every time I fired it the bullet slowly came out the end and fell to the ground. The same thing when I was about to get my driver's license. I already had the car and was waiting to get the license. In my dream I was in the car and driving it for the first time. It would always sluggishly move a few feet then stop moving. 

Another recurring dream when I was a kid was that I could levitate at will and move around to wherever I wanted to go. Sort of like flying, which I loved, but not fast like if I had wings that needed to be moving. It was more like being able to walk on air.

I don't know if this had anything to do with that but I went flying for the first time when I was 5 with a guy who kept his Piper Cub in a field behind my father's house. He used to take it up quite often when he got off work and on weekends so I always watched for his car to go by and run to the hanger to see if he would take me with him. So I did do a lot of real flying but the dream was not like that at all.

Hi Njoylife~ hope you are well:-)

The first dream you mentioned- the 'Wish' dreams that always turned out to be a disappointment= I'm guessing this probably happened sometimes in real life too! Often the things we really want & wait for or work hard for- end with a bit of anti-climax. Your dreams were a reminder of that. 

We only dream about the feelings we already know. If you've never been scared, happy, etc in real life- it's not going to happen for the first time in a dream. What was happening in yours was a subconscious reminder of reality; it was a recall of previous anti-climax's related to your circumstances & expectations at the time. 

However, once again- symbology can be relevant in these situations too- I don't think so much with the rifle dream (because of the situation), but with the car- I think there is an element of the symbol of freedom. Cars can be seen in two ways; risky, dangerous & unpredictable (because of the amount of car accidents there are today) or as a symbol of adulthood, freedom & movement. Getting your driving licence was a move away from childhood in to adulthood- in adulthood, you have to take risks, but be responsible with them- just as you do with cars.

The second dream- the levitation or flying; you haven't mentioned your life circumstances at the time you had the dreams, so I can't really connect it to what was going on with you at the time. However, in my interpretation of levitation- this could be a wish dream. You were perhaps feeling trapped by something in your waking life & when subconscious, the levitation dreams were (a) giving you time out from whatever you felt trapped by. You have written about it in a positive way, so I'm assuming you felt good in these dreams. Or (b) a symbolisation of giving you another perspective from a situation. Levitating above it all, you would get another view on what was going on in the living world. Perhaps you felt blindsided by something going on in your waking life or felt as if you were being fooled by someone in your waking life.

I don't think your flying experience had anything to do with it. You stated they were different & unless you were having the dreams at the same time, it's unlikely. I would say they were much more connected to whatever circumstances you were in at the time.

Hope this sheds some light on them!