Hi, my husband and I have shared five wonderful years together, but for the last couple of months he changed drastically. He has suddenly become very jealous. In fact his behavior is psychotic. He says that I am cheating on him when he is at work, so he took sick leave. A couple of times I have noticed him following me when I go shopping. Also he took my cell phone because he is certain that I am using it to contact my lover. I love my husband, but I can take a lot more of this psychotic jealousy. Do you have any advice about how I should handle this situation?

Hi, psychotic jealousy is a form of delusional behavior. It is also known as Othello syndrome. This type behavior is a symptom of psychotic disorder. These are very serious conditions that demand professional medical treatment. However, a person affected by this condition like your husband is not aware of the bizarre aspects of his thought. I am sure that if you try to convince him that he needs help he will deny it. Therefore the chances of him asking for medical assistance are very low. The only thing you can do is to talk with psychiatrist about your husband. He will find the best way to convince your husband to start treatment. Therapy for psychotic jealousy will take some time; hospitalization might be needed as well. During this time you should be supportive to your husband. Talking with him during the treatment will also prove helpful.