Hello, I am considering getting punctal plugs for my dry eyes. I did have them before for a short period and I thought they were a bit uncomfortable. Which option is better: getting the plugs again or taking a supplement in pill form? I am a 58-year-old female with dry eyes and mild osteoporosis. I will be taking artificial tears three times a day. I don't have any redness and my eyes are sensitive to sunlight.

Some patients, like you, find that punctal plugs are uncomfortable. But for many of them, the discomfort will improve with time. If the discomfort does not resolve, one option is to consider replacing the punctal plug with a design called an "internal" punctal plug which are inserted in the openings that allow drainage and do not have an external portion. Although some of internal punctal plugs led to problems in the past, the newer generation internal plugs seem to be relatively safe.