My husband has been diagnosed with bell's palsy a week ago. It took only 2 days to develop fully and now we are waiting for his physical therapy to start. I have a question regarding his condition – how to keep excesively dry eyes moist in bells palsy? Will that have any effect later, when the illness is gone?

Dry eyes are one of the problems that might occur during Bell's palsy. I have had the same problem almost ten years ago, when I was 21. Luckily, I got through without any consequences. I used a lot of eye gels and ointments. Also, artificial tears are good. Eye patch might be needed, to prevent accidental injuries and to ensure a good night sleep. I hope your husband will pull out with no changes.

Have your eye doctor prescribe hydrophilic contact lens for your affected eye (they are made with and without a focus change). If that is possible for you, it will relieve your dry-eye problems even if you can only close your eye half way.

There are also special re-wetting solutions for these lenses and I found that the combination relieves most, if not all, of the dry-eye discomfort.