I’ve been diagnosed with idiopathic gastroparesis, meaning they don’t really know the cause, two years ago. It’s been a big struggle since then. I’m at the point where my GI doctor is suggesting I have pyloroplasty surgery as a pretty much last option to try to return me to somewhat normal diet. What worries me is that this surgery is irreversible and there is a chance that it might be all for nothing, even more so because they don’t know what causes my gastroparesis. I’m trying to get a second opinion or at least look into any other less invasive and permanent option before I go for the surgery, but most other options are surgeries too. I’ve read experiences from people who had botox injections that simulate the effects of pyloroplasty, but my GI didn’t say anything about that. Maybe I need to see a surgeon?

Hello, Guest.  I am not sure if available in your state, but in Iowa there is a procedure to attach a device like a pacemaker that stimulates the stomach muscle to work and it has been pretty successful.  You may want to mention this to your doctor and have him research it.  It would be less invasive and if it doesn't work, it is removable and you wouldn't have any alterations to your stomach.  I hope you find relief with your condition and can start eating regular food again. 

Has anyone else have this procedure I spoke of?  Did it help you in getting your digestive system back on track?

Where in Iowa what hospital and dr. Name