Hello, I’m hoping to find out a bit more about SPML or percs procedure since my nephew is suffering from Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and his orthopedic surgeon is strongly against considering SPML but instead is insisting that Mark should undergo Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy which is much more invasive and is irreversible since spinal nerves are cut. So far from what I’ve read, only dr Yngve in Texas and dr Nuzzo do SPML and even though it’s very doubtful we’ll get insurance to cover it, it seems that at least there is no major incisions, recovery is fast and from what I’ve read, most parents do see improvement in general range of movement. So far, I haven’t seen any real argument against SPML, other than it’s not properly researched and published in scientific magazines. But that doesn’t say anything against the effects of the procedure.

Hello, Guest.  I see that you are looking for more information on selective percutaneous myofascial lengthening and whether your nephew would benefit from it.  It is a surgical procedure that to help improve gross motor function like walking or sitting up.  It is a relatively short surgery that lasts approximately 30 minutes all together.  There has been success with this type of procedure where patients had improvement in functioning.  It is a surgical procedure definitely worth investigating if it helps the quality of life for your nephew.

Has anyone else had the SPML procedure done or knows someone who had it?  How successful was it?

HI, we underwent this procedure for my son, 12 years old, a couple of weeks ago in League City, Texas by Dr. Yngve. My view, this is no con at all.

My son has the same condition as your nephew, and since the surgery, done on Friday, 6th December (out the same day), after a few days of pain, have definitely noticed that the spasticity has decreased significantly. His right foot hardly extended fully at all, with his toes barely touching the ground. Now, the heels are just a few centimetres above the ground. The tightness between his legs was so tight we could hardly separate them except by force. Now, they move partially independant of each other. There are a number of other improvements we have noticed. He feet were placed in casts, from the balls of the foot to just below the knees, and he will wear have them removed after 4 weeks.

He uses special knees splints provided by Dr. Yngve to wear at night when sleeping. these are to ensure that he does not curl up into the foetal position when sleeping and instead, now sleeps relaxed and with his feet stretched out. These he will use for 6 months or so, but I must tell you, he does nto expereince any discomfort whatsoever when sleeping.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I'm glad to hear your son has such improvement this soon after the procedure. This is such a good news, especially compared with SDR. We're now waiting to get a call back from dr. Yngve, from what I understood he first wants to make sure Mark is a good candidate for the procedure, but I feel pretty confident he will be, given we're in a situation similar to yours. His left leg is affected the most, never been able to extend it. How did you manage the costs? Any price really seems to be worth these results, to be honest.

Hi, though I have excellent medical insurance, sadly, due to legislation in South Africa and the USA, did not cover the treatment at all, so I paid privately. entire cost, including hospital and doctor's will was $ 20 850. In addition to this I paid a $ 100 consultation with the doctor and his team on the day before the procedure, the Thursday. We spent about an hour and a half with them as they did the evaluation. Prior to this, from South Africa, we had completed his questionnaire, and also sent various x-rays as requested by him.

Once again, thanks for the reply. We're in the US but from what I've found out so far, since it's inter-state (we're in Alabama and recent health care and insurance changes don't really help us at all) there are also very big chances my brother's insurance company won't pay for the procedure either. It just seems crazy to me that they would fully pay for hours long spinal cord surgery and months of recovery, but wont for SPML, just because it's done in Texas. Just plain awful, but than again $20k for this big improvement seems worth it, even if we all have to take a loan. I'm gonna keep looking for some charities that might help us at least somewhat and I wish you and your son all the best.

I have the version of CP your nephew has and having lived a long life with it and the chronic pain that sets in I'd JUMP at the chance to have the SDR surgery. It's more invasive but the pay off is better. Now that I am not a candidate for the SDR surgery because as an adult he expects you to be able to walk unassisted and I cannot. He has different rules for kids. I would only do it at St. Louis Hospital for Children. I'm looking into SPML for myself I'm nearing 43 and would like to not be in misery.

Hi, I'm considering taking my son for this treatment. I'll be traveling from South Africa. Would you please contact me, I just have a few questions. Thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

We have had the PERCs procedure done twice now, and our son has gone from having "pretzel legs" to having the left leg perfectly straight and he's standing on it, and the right leg is just a few degrees off of totally straight! There's a little discomfort at the time of the micro-surgery, but not awful. I also think that the weekly recasting done by our therapist has been a big part of his recovery, also. I highly recommend both Dr. Yngve and the PERCs procedure!

OH, and our insurance covered the whole procedure once our annual deductible was met.

hello ,I am looking in to the spml procedure for my 16 yr old. It would only be for one leg . Did traditional hamstring surgery but no improvement with that... how much is it ?

My daughter had the procedure 3 years ago. It was the best decision of my life. She no longer needs Botox, her heel is on the ground and she runs a 12 minute mile (while her MD in town said it would never be possible).

I live in Alaska and I have been diagnosed with mild to moderate spastic quad cerebral palsy I am not sure what the list of things that a doctor can do to assist me with my type of cp but I do remember that I was six years of age and I had gone through a double hip surgery and then I was twelve years old and I went through a double tendon lengthening released and I just well through a bunionetmy on my right foot and I might be having my left foot done on August fourth this year S

Hi my son had the percs surgery done when he was 5 and now at the age of ten he is going to have it done again. It's because of his growth that it's time for another procedure. We have Atena as our provider and our total out of pocket bill will be 1,617.00 ! Dr. Yngve at UTMB pediatric orthopedics in league city Texas is our doctor

My son had the procedure a month ago and we have already seen a huge improvement. He had it in conjunction with an adductor release and an alcohol nerve block and he is no longer scissoring and has been able to sit unassisted. My son seems to be more active and Dr. Yngve was a pleasure to work with.