Re-occuring abcess on the buttocks Hello there, For about the past two years ive had an abcess flare up about once a month (around the time of my period) on the exact same spot or right next to the previous one on my buttock. Two months ago I went to emerg and had it drained because the pain was horrible. The wound was dressed everyday thereafter untill it closed. However, the next time my period came about the same thing happened. It flared up, popped and re-opened the old wound. Now its a disaster and my surgical consult is months away. Does anyone know anything that could cause this? or anything that could help. Please i am desparate.

Depends what it is.  Some are actually cysts. then a surgery is only cure, but pretty easy and should be permanent.

If a boil - http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/boils may need draining,  but cause should be found.

People with weakened immune systems (either from a chronic disease or from medications) can develop abscesses more often because their body's ability to fight infection is decreased.

That it flares  with your period suggests possible hormonal component with hormone changes at menstruation .
or that  your diet is long term poor and  the flares are when your body is stressed my menstruation.

I have he same problem i am 32 and I've been getting this for the past 31 years. According to doctors there is no cure. I have been on antibiotics for as long as i can remember every session for 6 months at a time. Or the drain it. It leaves the ugliest of scars. what the doctors don't do is a swap and have it tested to see what bacteria it is so it could be treated correctly.