I have a father who is 55 years old and lately he worries me. Few days ago, he reported me pain in the anal area or buttocks sometimes, and fever. I had no idea what it could be, and then one friend of mine told me about anal abscess. She said her mother had the same symptoms when she is diagnosed with it. I would like to hear more about anal abscess, what kinds of this disorder can we have, and when it is recommended time to visit a doctor.

As you guess, there are two different types of anal abscess. Those are perirectal abscess, which is a collection of pus in the deep tissues surrounding the anus. Contrarily, a perianal abscess is a shallower collection of pus under the skin surrounding the anus. Both types of abscesses need immediate doctor’s attention. A delay in treatment may cause serious worsening condition and bring your father unnecessary complications. Signs and symptoms of perirectal and perianal abscesses include usually lump in the anal area. He might notice painful bowel movements, and lower abdominal pain with fatigue, as you reported. Often patients complain about swelling in the anal area or buttocks. Furthermore, anal abscess provoke night sweats, so if you suspect your father has a perirectal or perianal abscess, he should see a doctor. The diagnosis is not always easy to make, and his doctor may need to do tests or consult with specialists, so make that appointment as soon as it is possible.

Hi guys, I've also read about this topic because it concerns me since I also felt pain and fever around my anus, but I ignored it for some time. When it finally became unbearable, I went to see a doctor, and did some tests. It turned out that I had an anal abscess. It was very difficult for me in the next six months after the procedure, but the important thing for you now is to take your father to see someone about it, because time is crucial in moments like this. It might not end with a surgery, so be extremely cautious.