Ok, I smoke marijuana occasionally and I have been told many different things about it concerning my period. I have been told it shortens menstration, that it lightens the flow, that it can delay menstration, that it can even delay menstration and everything in between. So does marijuana effect menstration in any way either good or bad?

Hi there, I am fairly sure that if I recall correctly, marijuana is treated in the body (well, THC specifically) like an estrogen substitute and it can have an impact on when you menstruate and its flow. I am not entirely sure of how true that is. Does anyone else have an idea of this?

I have been an avid smoker every day for years and just recently i quit i am supposed to get my period but it has been delayed i am now 6 days late i took a pregnancy test and it came out negative i am just wondering if quitting delayed my period? please help

I am not an avid smoker of marijuana but two weeks ago i smoked for  a whole week continuously ....and now my period is like 3 days late does this have anything to do with the week i smoked.....does it really delay menses?

It does affect your period an can possibly stop it (temporarily) I assume sice you are asking this you are a girl and must know how much periods suck. Therefore this is a good thing. It is not bad for your body or anything like that but smoking while pregnant can affect the fetus.

I am a bottonist, I recieved my degree from the University of Oregon. Marijuana is very good for cramps. In Oregon and California you can get legal marijuana for Menstration Cramps. As far as messing with your flo, I have never seen tests about that and I doubt they have even done tests on the effects of menstration cycles because our studies on marijuana are limited by the federal Government marijuana can intensify drugs so if you are on birth control, I assume you are the marijuana might over power the effect of the birth control possibly. My girlfriend actualy controls her period on a specific regiment of marijuana so yes I would say  it could mess around with your period if you are on birth control and possibly what kind, pills, patches, or injections. I hope this sheds some light on your marijuana use I have been legaly growing marijuana for 13 years as a patient for epilepsy I have seizures when I dont smoke I have 0 seizures while using medicinal marijuana.........best wishes peace and hair grease, Daxington Hemphill

I personally am an avid user of marijuana. I smoke probably a half o every 1-2 days. I now haven't had a period for a month. I'm starting to believe it can severely affect your flow. I used to be on birth control until I ran out and my doctors have been giving me a hard time with it. I don't know of size matters with amounts smoked but I'm 19, 80ibs and 4'7.

I use marijuana , I'm 16 ,and I can tell you from experience. Marijuana use has affected my period in such a positive way , at least in my eyes!I used to get my cycle EVERY MONTH ,for up to 8 days! And it was heavy! But then ,when I started using weed more often , I get my period every OTHER month , for 3 days and very light!

Omg me too! I've take dozens of pregnancy tests but they're all negative, I smoked only twice since September and have only gotten my period three times at different dates.

I'm not exactly sure that it has the same effect on everyone. However, it may also depend on the grade of marijuana you smoke. I don't smoke often at all. My very first two times smoking what is called "loud" I bled and heavy.

I have been smoking marijuana for some time now and I was on birth control but I stopped using it. I have just started smoking often and I haven't had my period in 2 months.

I've been smoking marijuana for a while but recently I've started smoking more and my period is like 4 days late. I took 2 pregnancy tests & both came back negative.

Ive smoked a couple times this past month amd my period is 4 days late. Took one preg test, negative. Im usually pretty regular. Im freaking out, gonna be 40 in a couple weeks... 3kids already. :/ I hope its the weed.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but trying to get advice from potheads usually isn't such a great idea. These responses you're getting from people are barely comprehensible, let alone informative.

Smoking can DEFINITELY affect periods, and the flow of the period as well. In Chinese medicine, anything that is hot and drying (i.e., anything that is smoke and produces heat, etc) can be very injurious to the 'yin' fluids of the body--in this case, blood is considered a yin fluid in the body. I have had multiple experiences of having this cause injury to the yin in my body (in this case the blood), and having it stop my period which then causes other issues. And like one poster mentioned, it can have an impact on the hormones--mostly the testosterone-estrogen balance in the body--the female body. As far as I know, this all resolves itself once you stop using it.

There are many misnomers about marijuana--both in terms of the benefits of it as well lot of potential downsides from using it. Being informed on what it does to the body is always a good thing, and hopefully will steer you toward making responsible decisions about your health.

--

your health and the current weight you're at for being 19 years of age is what's messing with your flow. Being underweight can cause damage to your body and menstrual cycle