I've seen other posts, and thought I'd share my story up to date. First off, I'm an 18 year old male, and have been smoking for around 9 months, while the 6 most recent months consisted of smoking every day, especially an hour or so before sleep. I would probably smoke anywhere from 2-4 bowls throughout the day, and loved it. I've never really had any medical problems, and consider myself pretty lucky for that. This past Saturday, it was different. I smoked a much higher strain than I was used to, and smoked a good 6-8 bong tokes. Everything was fine at first, till I felt a lump when swallowing near my adams apple. It kept happening, and it felt a bit harder to breath. I stood up thinking id walk to the kitchen and that it would go away.. Once I got to the kitchen my body FREAKED. It felt like I was having some sort of deadly attack, (Heart Attack, Seizure, etc.) and I was scared for my life. All I could think about was to find my phone to call my mom and tell her I loved her, yet couldn't really control my body. I believe I blacked out while standing up for a second or two, and when i realized how bad it seemed, my instincts told me to go to the freezer and stick my head in it.. This helped me calm a little bit, but my adrenaline was still pumping.. I've researched it, and it seems to be a very normal marijuana induced panic attack. I've never gone through anything like it in my life, and have never really been an anxious person. I finally calmed down more and more, and after 2 hours, I was able to get back up from sitting down and move around a bit. I decided that night I was going to quit smoking, and maybe think the most optimistic and that it was a push I needed to be able to quit. The day after, i took 2-3 hits from a bowl, just to test and see if the panic would come back. While I didn't really get high, I could tell that my body wanted to panic, but it didn't. I've made the ultimate decision to quit cold turkey, and am going on the third day.. Its been ROUGH. I've been going through consistent anxiety, insomnia, lack of appetite, and shortness of breath (which i heard is related to the anxiety.) I haven't had a full meal since Sunday, simply because I'm just not hungry. I did a bunch of research on quitting cannabis, and have learned a good amount of info along the way. I'm currently taking all natural L-Theanine, and Vitamin B12 pills, as I'm trying to get through this on my own, and not depend on another useless drug. The one thing bothering me at the moment, is the shortness of breath. It's hard to describe, but it feels like my breaths are not complete unless it's a really deep breath, and you can feel like the difference. I've been yawning to try and get the sensation, but that doesn't help much. As a result of this deep breathing, my chest is sore, which would make sense.. It seems like im working my lungs more than usual, so being sore would only make sense. While I've seen a bunch of posts saying "It's all in your head" and "There are no Cannabis Withdrawal effects!" I just can't believe it. I've had trouble sleeping the past few nights, and just find myself rolling around in bed, mind racing, and simply not feeling relaxed/comfortable enough to sleep. If I am able to fall asleep, I wake up soon after. After researching for the past few days, it seems like this is all pretty normal, and other people are going through the same stuff. If you have any more suggestions, comments, or even just a post of encouragement, it would honestly mean the world to me. I'm taking this one day at a time, and I KNOW I'll get through it, and that it's just a matter of time. Sorry if this post is a bit long, but i figured if I'm going to make a post, I'm posting all the details :-). If you've made it this far, thank you... and i mean that

It does sound like you have had a bad reaction to the marijuana you smoked.

Once a person experiences a panic/anxiety attack after smoking pot they tend to have them each time they smoke pot again.

Sometimes the attacks may not be as bad as others, but the attacks usually will continue if the person continues to use marijuana.

You are a good candidate to quit because these attacks can be really disturbing.

Anyone that says that marijuana has no withdrawl effects has either never smoked it or has never quit using to experience the withdrawl in the first place. This withdrawl tends to be worse than quitting coffee but not as bad as quitting tobacco. As with any type of addiction your ability to stop using is directly dependant on how much you have used, how long you have used and your desire to stop. Quitting may require several tries before you are successful.

It's probably a blessing that you haven't smoked long and already want to quit because the longer you smoke the more important it becomes and then you're old without any goals other then to get high. Just want to encourage you, all things are possible with God.

Quitting smoking dope can cause terrible symptoms.  Nightmares, sweats, anxiety, panic attacks, you name it.  I know from experience.  What I also know however is (a) all these symptoms eventually go away completely, and (b) if you don't go back to smoking it again you'll eventually feel much, much better - you'll be more "you", more in control, stronger and calmer.  Be wary, however: that ONE relapse can be all it takes to slide back to feeling subhuman and terrified again.  Stay off it, and eventually you'll not only feel physically and mentally healthier and stronger, but you'll also feel proud of your self-control.  Plus, you'll have more fun, believe me.

Everyone's body is different. I know this isn't really the answer you are looking for, but it seems like you have conditioned your body to behave a certain way while high. Smoking and eating without some sort of routine or timeframe can lead to dependency on the feeling of hunger. Eat at scheduled times. Even if it is just a little bit at a time. You must reteach your body to be hungry without its dependency on weed. This is just an example of the way you have depended on weed to affect your eating habits, sleeping habits, and thought processes leading you to peace of mind. As far as getting to sleep again, that is a difficult one to overcome. Try exercising during the day after work or in the morning. This is both good for you and energizing throughout the day. This will physically exhaust your body (at the end of the day) and the psychological aspect of sleeping will follow if you continue this routine. Retrain your body to function the way you would like, but be safe and healthy! I, myself have never had a problem with marijuana. I have had as much as I could possibly smoke in a full day and night. An oz later, I was taking care of my drunk friend after having smoked upwards of 100 bowls, joints, bongs, etc. there is a plateau effect, and it is a huge waste of weed. (For the record, the bud was better than most medical strains found in dispensaries today.) Anyway, my point is that you are not addicted. You are dependent. You have conditioned yourself in such a way that this seeming "addiction" is actually just a series of undesirable outcomes because you grew accustomed to doing things a specific way on weed. I used to smoke nearly 3.5-7 grams of top-notch dro a day for almost 3 years time. Never smoked schwag. I sparked bowls throughout the day and carry on with my daily tasks whilst high. Maybe I just conditioned my brain to work the same way while high? Maybe you could smoke a less lethargic strain? Get up and do something while baked. Go disc golfing, play some basketball. The less you do, the more time you have to sit your ass on a couch wasting life away when it was meant for us to enjoy our short time on this planet. Hope all is well for the OP! You weren't addicted. Try cocaine (seriously don't, it makes you feel better for a SHORT ASS TIME while taking away from your body's ability to feel happy/pleasure and can actually make you impotent by destroying your blood vessels) then you can understand what addiction and withdrawal actually feels like. Smoke or don't, but we all have to eventually get on track with taking care of ourselves. Thanks for reading!