You have no idea how much you just impacted my life. I feel like I could have wrote this myself because it is exactly what I am going through. I have been on the pill for almost six years and cold turkey went off. I have felt hopeless and for the first time in a while reading this gave me hope. I have an amazing support system of family and I fully rely on God. I believe God along with my family has brought me this far. All I can say to you is thank you, thank you....THANK YOU!!

I have no other words but thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! You have no idea how much your words have impacted my life. I have been on birth control for six years and went off cold turkey. For a week I was fine, and then my world crumbled!! Anxiety/depression/fear/irrational thoughts/racing mind/scared etc. I have done nothing but cry and so of course I googled and when I came across this I want you to know right now for the first time in a month I have hope. I have the most wonderful support system my momma and boyfriend have been terrific. I can't sleep and go and wake my momma up just to cry. The anxiety is horrific. I have now started my birth control back because that was the only thing we knew to do. And my neck has hurt also, so much I have a doctors appointment this week to have my thyroid checked!! I can't sleep and have no interest in things I once loved. I don't want to get up get dressed, shower, etc and that is so not me. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this and giving me hope. Please don't question your faith because I prayed for answers of why and you just helped me so much!! Thank you God!! And thank you again!!

Hi Micayla

Your name [Micayla] means 'who is like God' and surely God has brought you here. Maybe He wants you to really 'Fully Rely On God' [F.R.O.G.] ("I fully rely on God") in every respect, and follow Him completely. What is the nature of your faith?

What do you mean by "I have now started my birth control back because that was the only thing we knew to do"? In what sense was it "the only thing we knew to do"?

Take care. If I can help, just ask. If you like, you could sign in and message me.

Thank you so much for replying with such kind words. I went back on the birth control because I read that when you go on birth control your body stops producing estrogen and relys on the pill, so when you stop the pill it can take up to six months for your body to produce the estrogen on its own again. So I was so scared I decided to start it back!! I tried to sign in to message you but it didn't work. . Thank you again for replying.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Micayla
Glad you appreciated my reply. BC pills mimic pregnancy, so it takes a while for your natural system to return to normal. No need to be scared of that.
BTW stay safe online and don't give out your email in public. You never know who might find it!
Hope I can help further. Take care

I'm having this same problem..... I was wondering how you are doing now ?

I HAVE NOT RECOVERED... yet. I'm not saying this to be pessimistic. I'm saying it to give an alternative side to this problem that I thought I was alone in experiencing. Like many of us on this page, I've had the same symptoms. However, I've had them for about a year now and they have noticeably gotten worse with time. I've learned the pattern a bit more. Here is my story. About 2 years ago, I began to take birth control. I remember one of the brands was Junel I believe, but I also took a brand prior to that. Up to that point, I'd never had a regular period in my life. Mine would space out three months at a time or so. Once I started birth control, I began to experience severe mood swings. My gyno lowered my birth control to Junel saying it was one of the lowest estrogen containing birth controls (at least I believe she said estrogen, it was some hormone). As the severe mood swings continued, with me crying for no reason at all and feeling hopeless, I stopped taking birth control. I had been taking it for about 6 months. It has been a year since I've stopped taking birth control and the symptoms not only persist, but have gotten worse. I found this page last night after one episode where I was violently crying and hyperventilating with no trigger whatsoever. I've learned that it all comes around my period. Before I had thought I was just going insane, or that I, a 21 year old college student, was just feeling the stress of going to school and living away from my parents for the first time. But from what I've read on the internet and from what I feel in my gut and my heart, that is not the case. I have all range of symptoms, from back aches 2 weeks before my period, nausea, bloating, then followed by severe episodes of anxiety and depression where I cry for hours and lash out at anyone near me in an attempt to figure out WHY I'm feeling this way. But there is no why. It just happens and it's been destroying my relationship with my boyfriend and with my friends. I've tried to control it, focus on something else, talk to someone, do something else. But nothing is working. I also have pain in my neck gland on the right side mostly, but occasionally on the left too. I had an infection there before and the glands in my neck have not felt the same since after I had my wisdom teeth removed. I'm not sure how it's all connected, but I do believe it is. I refuse to go back on birth control because I was miserable on it and I feel as if my life has been ruined ever since. I wanted to type this reply for anyone out there who is reading these and is like me, who time hasn't helped, who is still suffering and going through this. This post gave me hope, but it did not give me a solution. I may be trying some herbs such as chaste berry as well as more exercise and if ANYTHING works, I will let everyone on here know. If anyone would like to e-mail me or anything, please do not hesitate. Ask me any questions or concerns and I'll do my best to use my experience through this whole ordeal to answer them. We're not alone, but it's not over yet for some of us either. Stay strong.

Thanks a lot Christine. Your post is god sent. I cried reading it one night. I had experienced almost everything you mentioned exactly the same symptoms except the head aches and acne. I was looking for answers online. I was convinced it was the ocp which I had started taking for regulating my periods before my wedding and I went through hell. I had in fact just consumed 7 pills the anxiety stayed for about a week. The shortness of breath about every once in a while whenever I thought about it over a period of 5 months. The racing thoughts for a over 2 weeks. I am not completely out of depression it will be a year in February 2015 but I have come a long way. I still have small episodes of depressive feelings but I used to have more severe ones like having questions on what is the point of life and the daily mundane activities, nothing is exciting in spite of having the most wonderful people around me, But there is a God and there is hope. I had questions and felt abandoned by god as well. But I am hopeful that this will be a distant memory and I will be completely normal again. I still have my faith in god.

These posts are so reassuring, everyone has a different experience, after all it is related to hormones and one size does not fit all. I want to help share this and educate as many people about it. At least I have shared this with my family and friends who might consider taking OCPs for small problems like acne or regulating periods or postponing it because they want to avoid it at an inconvenient time or for birth control! I want to scream from the top of a building that It's just not worth it! Trash those pills and do yourself a favour. I am no doctor but I know that it's not worth taking a risk for small discomforts!

All of you will feel better sooner or later. Just have faith and keep breathing.

Dear Ladies,

I found this site about a month and a half ago when I was experiencing symptoms that many of you refer to.  Reading the "success stories" on the site really helped me through the bad days, so I wanted to add my story for those of you still suffering with these symptoms.  Like so many others here have said (and even though it was hard for me to believe when I was experiencing my own anxiety) there truly is a light at the end of the tunnel! 

My background for my symptoms - I started taking Junel Fe oral contraceptive the beginning of October 2014.  This was my first experience with birth control.  That month, I had horrible physical reactions to it - violently ill and nauseous most of the time.  My doctor wanted me to wait it out another month to see if my nausea subsided, which probably should have been a red flag.  Long story short, after the first month, the physical symptoms went away, but I experienced mood swings, and decided after month 3 that this was not the route for me.  December 28, 2014 was the last day I took the pill.  The following Saturday, January 3, I experienced a severe panic attack - depressing thoughts, strong physical reaction, shortness of breath, intense pressure in chest, increased heart rate, shaking all over, numbness.  I had never had a panic attack before and have no history of anxiety.  

After that day, I had consistent anxiety and felt like I could cry at any moment for 2 weeks straight.  Beginning January 18, my anxiety lessened and was only present in the mornings, and by mid-morning I felt much more like my old self.  This pattern continued (anxiety in the morning, back to normal "me" by lunchtime) until January 30.  January 23 was the first day of my period, and my first cycle since going off the pill.  

Since January 30, I have barely thought about my anxiety!  I still very occassionally feel a bit "off" but nothing like that first month after going off the pill.  I've had my second period since going off the pill, and things seem to continue to get better!  As many of you have said, I felt like I was dying, my body utterly out of control, and unable to control my thoughts.  As a rational, level-headed individual, who has never experienced anything like this, I was terrified, but I want you to know you will make it through this!

One other note I'd like to share. I changed my Primary Care Physician to one who was a bit more understanding to my situation.  She said to me that I was the most severe case she had seen of someone having anxiety after going off the pill (which, let me tell you, did not make me feel that great).  But it was reassuring to hear that it was a side effect of the pill, and what I was experiencing was my hormones readjusting.

Now that I am feeling better, I not only wanted to share my story to give those of you going through this some bit of hope, but I thought it might be helpful to share HOW I made it through each day, hour, even those minute-by-minute moments, in hopes that you might be able to take something away from my experience and find it useful for yourself.  I feel like a list might be easiest to follow, so here it goes:

1. First and foremost, I confided in my closest friends and family.  Having someone who knows you and cares for your well-being holding your hand through this process helped me keep my sanity.  As they say, better out than in!  Share what you're going through with someone who cares about you and is non-judgemental.  Getting it out helps, I promise.

2. I started a daily journal.  Every evening before bed, I put a header at the top of the page with the date and "Day #X of Anxiety".  Then I noted the weather, what happened in my environment throughout the day, what my emotions were like, and finally my physical symptoms.  As I started to see progress, I would write things like "morning anxiety better than yesterday, but not as good as weekend" etc.  That way, I could see myself getting better - it also helped me center and focus what I was experiencing.

3. I bought lavendar candles, lavendar soap, and lavendar oil.  It is a soothing scent, as many of you know I'm sure.  Just having the lavendar oil in my purse when I was on the metro stuck in a train with dozens of people, and felt the walls caving in helped.  I would take a deep breath inhaling the oil's smell, and focus on my breathing. (A note: I really wanted to make it through my anxiety without any prescriptions from my doctor.  To each her own, but I didn't want to experience any other side effects - having the natural lavendar helped calm me down...even though I know it was mostly a mental thing).

3. I printed several inspiring quotes and taped them to my bathroom mirror.  Every morning when I dragged myself out of bed, reading them put things into perspective for me, reminded me "you will make it through this".

4. I started a "smash book" - a collection of quotes I liked, pictures that made me smile, letters from friends, articles that moved me, etc.  Having that creative outlet helped me, again, to focus my efforts on something constructive and get my mind off the anxiety, but also help me get down on paper how I was feeling.

5. TV first thing in the morning.  I found it helped me, as I was experiencing my worst anxiety in the AM when I woke up.  Having something upbeat (I watch Good Morning America) and sort of light on in the background while I was getting ready made the mornings not so tough.  Plus a good laugh before heading out to work can never hurt.

6. I planned things to look forward to.  Every weekend for a month, I made sure I had something fun with my friends or family to look forward to.  That way I didn't have any down time to be left with my anxious or sad thoughts and could plan for something fun.

7.  Everyone has their own thing, and so many forums tell you to get active.  I really found going for a walk every day at lunch was IMMENSELY helpful.  It cleared my mind, the fresh air and daylight and briskness of the winter weather was rejuvinating.  I also took up yoga, which I have come to love.  The breathing and concentration during my classes were often the only times I didn't feel anxious those first couple weeks off the pill.

8. Finally, I made a playlist of songs that bring back good memories, songs I find empowering, silly songs, and upbeat songs.  I also started following a few podcasts that make you think and have funny and relatable hosts.  Just more things to take your mind off the anxiety, and refocus you when you are in those minute-by-minute phases.  I popped my hedphones in at work and would switch to something mindless for 15 minutes or so till I could focus again.

I do hope at least some of you find this helpful.  Knowing that there are others out there experiencing what you are experiencing made it a little bit easier for me. I understand so well that this can be the hardest thing for you to go through.  Just know YOU WILL MAKE IT!  Stay strong and remember that you've already made it through 100% of the bad times you've experienced so far!  You will make it through this!

Sending you all good vibes and positive thoughts!

Hi, I am currently going through the same as u have described above and just wondering how u are now did they anxiety and panic subside?

I've been on Yasmin and generic Yasmin like ocella for the last 10 years and my insurance just switched me to zarah. I've been on zarah for 2 months. Just started my third pack and have realized I have had anxiety and severe anxiety attacks since I have been on them. I went to the doctor and had blood work and an EKG. My body is extremely healthy yet when I'm having anxiety it's like my whole world is ending and I feel so alone and any ache or pain is going to kill me. I have had numb hands and feet and pain in my right arm. Light headed and dizzy. Some days are good where I feel almost normal but most days are bad. The attacks started out slow. One here or there. But now it's been constant it seems. I was a week into the zarah pills and quit. Got my period early and my doctor says I need to wait a full cycle to see if this is the cause. All of this started happening when I switched to zarah. My doctor also said zarah is Yasmin but since Yasmin got sued, they tweaked the ingredients just enough to be able to change the name and stay on the market. Most of these stories are exactly like mine and I feel comfort in the fact that other people are going through this as well and have moved passed it and returned to feeling normal, because that's all I want. I just want to be me again. Thank you for sharing

I felt so much relief when I found this post. I started having panic attacks about a yr after I had my iud put in. My mood had changed but I put it off as post Pardum due to just having my son. One of my close friends finally pushed me to do some research because she had been through something similiar. I am setting up a time for removal but first setting up for counseling as I know I will need to be able to talk with someone. The panic I have learned to control for the most part but the impending doom (irrational thoughts) get me in the end. Mine change to whatever is going on....for instance meningitis is going around our local college so the symptoms are what I feel when my attack hits full fledge. Does anyone else have to deal with this as well?

How do you feel now that it's been over 6 months for you? I'm about to be on month 3 in a couple weeks and it's gotten better for me but I still feel that panicky feeling every now and then, mainly more when I'm ovulating like you had said happened to you as well.

Hi there , Your post has helped tremendously. My story is almost identical. I had been on ocella for several years, Yasmin before that, and then my insurance switched me to zarah. After a month on these pills I began experiencing panic attacks. I'd never had one of these in my life so it was terrifying. About 3 weeks later I had another one. About 10 days after that I was having them every day. I went to my doctor and had blood tests done, an ekg and everything came back normal. I immediately got online and started researching these pills. All of my symptoms matched up. I started looking on forums and so many women have had the same experiences. These last few months have been the worst of my life and I am terrified daily. I have been off of the pills for 4 weeks now and I have not had a panic attack since the last pill I took. However, I have had some anxiety and other strange symptoms. I am not sure if they are anxiety related or pill related or just a coincidence. This is terrifying and I will never take another birth control pill again, even though I was fine for 10 years. Every time I get so freaked out that I am going to die, I come read your post. Thank you for sharing. I hope I will be back to my normal self within the next few months. Thank you Kristina

This forum has helped me so much! I was thinking I was absolutely insane, but now I know it's just the birth control playing with my head. I took Orysthia for about one month (prior to this I had been on another form of BC, and had similar panic attacks after stopping) and began having terrible anxiety while on the pill. I stopped and everything seemed okay for about a week... and then the attacks started up. I started questioning everything about myself, even my love for my wonderfully supportive and caring boyfriend. I saw a therapist, went to yoga, began swimming-- nothing seems to help. But, I'm close to my second period since stopping and I'm looking forward to feeling normal again. To any ladies out there considering hormonal birth control: DON'T! It isn't worth the mental and emotional drain you will have to endure. Stay strong, my ladies!