So you have to keep taking them in order to feel like you again? :/ I just don't want to depend on something to feel better but at this point I think it's worth it.

Yeah, I have to take at least one or two a day once my period passes in order to prepare for the symptoms. I didn't want to depend on something either but the way I see it. In a way, it's like a vitamin. If it's a natural solution to my problem, rather than taking antidepressants or hormones, I feel like it's not so bad. I know what you mean, but I think it's worth a try. It was for me and it's not so bad.

Does it help with irrational thoughts or just the physical symptoms of anxiety?

Do you take them all month long or just after your period?

I take them all month long but I think I could get away with not taking them during my period and probably the week after. After that, I'll start to have symptoms if I'm not taking the pills usually.

Thank you for your response and information. I'm not sure what to do at this point, I went to a ND and am on some supplements for adrenal fatigue and anxiety. They seemed to be helping initially but for whatever reason my anxiety and just generally feeling crappy have been worse the past couple weeks. I may stay on them for a couple more weeks and if no improvement, try what you're taking. It's been about 3 1/2 months off BC for me and beyond frustrating to still feel this bad most days out of the month. I've had all the blood work/thyroid work and it all came back normal. How long did it take for you to start feeling better?

For me, it helps with both. But I'm not sure how it affects other people. For me, the irrational thoughts and overwhelming sadness go away and the physical exhaustion feeling greatly lessens (it's somewhat there but at like a normal expected level for someone shedding a uterus lining lol)

What I'm taking is nice because it's an herbal supplement and not a major medication so if it ends up working out for you if your current medicines don't work that'd be great. Well, I posted about my problems about 8 months ago near the start of this year. I had been suffering from symptoms for.. I believe a year after I'd got off birth control. I blamed myself and thought the symptoms were my fault. But I began to realize they weren't and did research and found this forum as well as the supplement I now take. I started taking it and my symptoms lessened but it's hard to notice or realize until your period actually arrives. I also just went a few months without taking the pills because I ran out and my symptoms came back. When I started taking the pills again, 3 times a day with a meal, my symptoms were lessened/gone within a week or two. Then my period came a week or two after and the symptoms were noticeably gone or greatly lessened. Hope that helps.

Without the pills, my symptoms came back within a week and I felt miserable again... So it's somewhat frustrating to feel somewhat dependent on these pills but. In the end, the peace it's giving me and returning me back to my normal self. I'll take it.

This was a response from a Dr. on this forum, a different BC topic.

Women's brains are hard-wired to be protective of their bodies and of their children. The female brain is uniquely sensitive to estrogen, so that the more estrogen is in a woman's bloodstream, the harder it is for the brain to rewire itself after a frightening or worrisome experience. Estrogen literally causes the brain to fixate on scary events.

When would a woman's estrogen levels go up? Estrogen powers the first half of the menstrual cycle. It stimulates growth in the lining of the uterus that prepares it just in case the egg (or eggs) released by the fallopian tubes become fertilized. Once the egg is released, about the middle of a woman's cycle, estrogen levels fall and progesterone levels increase so that the the fertilized egg can "take" in the lining of the uterus.

Coming off any kind of contraceptive that also stops menstruation will result in higher estrogen levels than a woman has known while she was on the Pill. Coming off a "combination Pill" may result in higher estrogen levels when a woman stops taking it. Because a woman's estrogen levels are higher during the first 14 days of her period, any withdrawal effects will be greatest during the first half of her period (which may or may not be 14 days) until she ovulates. Fear, anxiety, obsession-compulsion, and panic should be less of a problem until the next period, when the cycle will start all over again.
Of course, women are already very familiar with the problems that accompany their menstrual cycles. These just come back, sometimes with a vengeance, when they stop the Pill.

Another common occurrence after cessation of the Pill is a surge in the body's production of follicle stimulating hormone. This isn't due to a change in woman's ovaries, as would be the case in a disease condition called Turner's syndrome. It's simply a side effect of being on the Pill. For up to a year, ovulation may come with visible symptoms, so that women both feel a pain in the middle when they ovulate, and see changes in their bodies. The cervix may pull up, soften a bit, and open a little wider, to accommodate sexual intercourse that could fertilize the egg. The cervical mucus (the stuff that gets your underwear sticky) may loosen so it can transport sperm more readily. Crusty secretions become fluid secretions, and dark secretions typically become lighter. These signs of ovulation may be more intense for up to a year after a woman comes off the Pill.

What can you do about these problems?

Not to minimize this very real problem, but you may need to wait. It can take up to 12 months for a woman's body to figure out it's no longer on the Pill.
Pay close attention to changes in the time of ovulation. Not every woman is automatically fertile exactly 14 days after her period. If pregnancy is not desired, then it is important to avoid unprotected sexual intercourse with a male partner up to five days before ovulation. This may mean no sex sooner after the period than before.
In the most severe cases, doctors can treat excessive production of follicle stimulating hormone. Ironically, as long as FSH production is too high, the chances of pregnancy are lower than normal (although not zero). However, this problem usually sorts itself out in about 12 months.

Women's discomfort when coming off the Pill is not something doctors should trivialize. The problems of hormonal imbalances are very real, and deserve sympathy. Treating the problem, however, can involve complications that could cause side effects that almost as bad as the original symptoms, so make every effort, if you can, to withstand the discomfort. It will eventually go away. If you do choose to go back on birth control, you may want to ask about the mini-Pill (although it's not as protective against pregnancy) and to avoid contraceptives that sometimes can completely stop menstruation, such as Yaz.

I'm not disagreeing with this post I just want to add. I waited a year and a half after stopping birth control. My symptoms got worse. Until I took a herbal supplement. That's all I'm saying. Maybe for other peopl, as I've seen, time is the right remedy. But for me it wasn't. Just giving an alternative view

I wanted to share my experience for anyone out there who is struggling with anxiety and depression caused by birth control. Please know that you are not alone! Reading what others have written has been a big encouragement to me. What I have experienced the past two months has by far been the hardest thing in life. I began birth control the end of April in anticipation of getting married at the end of May. Everything seemed fine for the first two and a half months. I was happily married and enjoying a summer off from teaching elementary school. Then the middle of July I began to get negative racing thoughts that came out of nowhere. I didn't know what was going on and felt like I was getting into a darker and darker place. I prayed and opened up to those close to me. I knew I was still loved and that many were praying for me. The negative thoughts continued and I slipped more and more into a depressed condition. I no longer had motivation to do things I once loved. I just wanted to try to figure out what was going on with me and sleep when I could. The main time I experienced any peace was while sleeping. After three and a half weeks I broke down and told my mom what was going on. I told her I needed her to pray for me. She realized that what was happening to me was being caused by the birth control. I wasn't so sure at first but I was so desperate to be freed from the dark place that I was in that I was very willing to stop taking the pills. My husband was very supportive, and I stopped the pill the next day. That was almost five weeks ago. Things didn't start to get better right away by any means. I was still experiencing many racing, disturbing thoughts. I cried most days and often didn't know how to go on. I wouldn't have made it without all the prayers and care of those close to me. I stared to have some better days. The morning were always the hardest as my being felt gripped by fear and anxiety when I would wake up. I started a Sunny Mood supplement that a doctor friend recommended. I think it may be helping some. Physically I have more energy now but I am still struggling mentally with the thoughts, but not to the degree that I was. I am encouraged to be having more better days. There is light ahead. I have to say that The Lord has been so faithful in this extremely difficult experience. I hope my experience can help some others. Birth control is not a benign pill without potential serious side effects. I never would have gone on it if I would have know what I know now. Be encouraged that you will get better.

That's great that you found something that worked! I was only trying to put this information out there for anyone reading this forum. I know time has helped for many women but if there's anything at all that'll help I say go for it.

Thank you for posting this! I have been off BC for a month and a half because I was having the same types of feelings. I've been starting to think it will never get better, but it seems like it took about 5 months or so after stopping for you to feel completely "normal". THANK YOU so much for writing this. It is a great encouragement! God bless.

UPDATE! Hello ladies, I wrote on this forum about six months ago. (It all began May 20th, 2015)... Today is February 21st, 2016 and I have wonderful news! I have fully recovered. And I wouldn't be able to appreciate my life this much if I hadn't gone through seven months of pure hell.
I went from being utterly depressed, mopey, unable to work, doubting my life choices, and unbearably anxious, to extremely grateful for family and friends, enjoying my job, doing well in school, and so on.
I never thought I would be the same after my birth control changed my hormones as much as they did. I can't explain how dark and scary that place I was in for seven months was, but I'm so happy to be out of it.
Honestly, the best cure is time. I spent a lot of time just feeling sorry for myself and feeling negative about everything. This did not help anyone.
It's really hard to stay busy when you're depressed and upset, but it's honestly the only way. I guess the key is to become distracted from the monster itself. For me, the depression only lasted a couple months. Anxiety, unfortunately, is still something I deal with from time to time, but if you can learn to distract yourself from the irrational thoughts and ideas, and learn to accept your thoughts, let them pass, and pay no real attention to them, you will learn that they can't harm you. But this is much easier said than done.
It's been almost a year since this whole situation happened, and I am truly a better person because of it. Those weird, unwelcome feelings of doubt towards my boyfriend completely vanished (though he still gets on my nerves from time to time ;)). I enjoy the old activities that I used to love. And now, I have even picked up new hobbies that helped me through those tough times that are just a part of my daily routine now. (Giving up dairy, practicing mindfulness, YOGA, excerising three times a week, hanging out with my cat) These all have helped me along the way and I continue to do them because I enjoy them so much.

I don't know. I just came across this forum, and I remember just wishing that more people would come back to them and do an update, just indicating that they're still alive and well, and life goes on after these terrible and unfortunate circumstances happen. It's really painful, on so many levels, to experience this sort of mental illness, but just know you are not alone, (clearly there are so many people here having the same problems) and that you will get through it. It's different for everyone, but I promise in time you will be back to your old self and most of those unpleasant feelings will be history. Learn from this experience and grow from it, don't worry even though I know that's not possible, just be patient and happiness will find you. Good luck ladies! Please email me for support