I suffer from occasional heartburn, but I wasn’t worried much about it until yesterday morning. Yesterday morning when I was getting up from bad I had abnormal heartburn and I was feeling bad whole day. I could eat anything. I felt like my throat and mouth are burned completely. I don’t know if I should see a doctor? Did anyone experience abnormal heartburn such this one?

An occasional episode of heartburn is generally nothing to worry about. However, frequent heartburn can be a serious problem, and it deserves medical attention because it is the most common symptom of GERD. GERD is a disease in which stomach acid or, occasionally, bile flows back into your esophagus. You can manage the discomfort of heartburn with lifestyle modifications and over-the-counter medications, but if heartburn is severe or abnormal like you said, these remedies may offer only temporary or partial relief.

If you only have heartburn every now and then it is probably not that serious. However, if you have cases of heartburn more frequently or more seriously it may be a symptom of GERD. This can lead to a whole other set of serious conditions and ailments People who have serious chronic heartburn also run a higher risk to develop serious complications including narrowing of the esophagus or a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's esophagus So a visit to your doctor would be the wisest to do For the occasional heartburn it is easiest to eat an apple or to drink potato, carrot or celery juice, these temper the acid, can be quiet simple Besides paying a visit to your doctor, some long term heartburn solutions could be:  

• of course not to overeat

• give your meal at least 3 hours to settle before you go to sleep

• keep a healthy weight by eating a healthy diet; goes for everybody

• No fatty food, fizzy, alcoholic & caffeinated drinks

• Refined sugar and refined carbohydrate products can be responsible for your heartburn

• Stick to a fiber rich diet

• Drink plenty of water

• Eat high-protein, low-fat meals

• Eat complex carbohydrate rich food like brown rice and pasta

• Find out what food or drink is causing heartburn in your case and eliminate them from your diet

• Regularly eat yogurt, the lactobacillus acidophilus in there helps your digestive system

• check with your doctor if your are taking medication that can cause it

• avoid anxiety and stress

Well, quiet some list but hopefully you can get something out of this, if you're interested in more you can take a look at: Hopefully this was a bit helpful, good luck! ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Unfortunately those responses are what I see all over the web... The issue I see (and it sounds like the original poster saw) was that our heartburn is infrequent - for me it's maybe 2 times a year - but when it happens it is more severe than normal heartburn.

It starts off as a little bit of a sour stomach, and over the course of a full day slowly worsens to full heartburn.  For the next few days my throat is hoarse/scratchy, my chest burns, I can't sleep, and my stomach is also upset (constant swallowing, burps, lack of appetite, generally uncomfortable).  I've asked a few Dr.s and they all say the same thing (diet, lifestyle, etc.) but I'm healthy, work out, drink water etc. and when these episodes happen none of those items have changed noticeably.  It's so rare that it can't seem to be tracked to anything... that's what I'm trying to get a better answer to.

Any ideas?