What would be the best way to start a new life? I have had major issues with heart die to excessive weight and I somehow managed to get that under control (with diets and meds). I know now that I have to change something drastically because I am not sure I will be able to loose my old, bad habits easily. What do you think of reiki as an overall healthy style?

Perhaps you should star with something a bit easier. I mean, it is obvious that you have managed to loose some extra weight with diets and that is a success. Perhaps walking further that path would do you some more good, you can at least try it. Balanced diet (nothing strict, no starving) and exercises (or at least some sort of physical activity) – start with this.

Reiki is all about energy, so called life force that is used for creating a healing effect. The teaching itself does not have any scientific basis, but a lot of people practice it. It is a sort of holistic therapy which is based on therapies on mental, emotional and spiritual levels. So, you can try it, see if it fits you, and if you are ok with its teachings, there is nothing that can stop you from exercising it.

Reiki might help you in a way that it improves your mental state. If you think positively and with hope, that should also aid you physically. Or so they say. Although I am certain that stress is one of the factors that can cause a lot of problems for health, I don't think that positive thinking only can heal you completely.