Hi! I wanted to try reiki methods and I heard that it demands fasting before initiation, so called attunement. How long do I have to fast? And I would like to know why is it needed. Could someone with experience explain me basic principles of reiki and its need for purification?

Reiki is a spiritual practice and it demands purification to open your energy chakras. That means that energy passages should be open prior to any kind of meditation. Some practitioners say that you shouldn’t take meat of fish tree days before reiki class and you should do a water or juice fast before attunement. Smokers should also smoke as little as possible on that day and the day before.

I took some reiki classes myself and my instructor advised me not to eat meet for a week before attunement and should only take fruit juice for 3 days before. Also, he suggested that I shouldn’t have any alcohol or cigarettes on that day. During fasting I had to be careful not to be exposed to any kind of stimulation like TV, radio or computer. It is needed to help opening of your crown, heart and palm chakras.