I have some problems for a long time ago. It shows as pain in some joints and muscles, but it is not so severe I think some doctor should help me. My mother is telling me I need to visit rheumatologist, what really surprised me. I don’t have rheum, so I don’t know if that is true. Then I realized actually I don’t know what rheumatologist do, besides treating rheum.

Sometimes, when musculoskeletal pains are not severe or disabling and just a few days, it makes sense to give problem a reasonable chance to be resolved by its own. Sometimes, pain in joints, muscles or bones is severe, or it persists for more than a few years. At that point, first thing you should do is to visit your physician. Many types of rheumatic diseases are not easily identified in early stages. Rheumatologists are especially trained to do detective work and discover cause of swelling or pain. Some rheumatic diseases are complex so one visit to rheumatologist may not be enough to determine diagnosis and course of treatment. What is important for you to know about rheumatologist is that he or she is internist or pediatrician who is qualified by additional training and experience in diagnosing and treating arthritis and some other diseases or joints, muscles or bones. It’s not just arthritis what they treat, but some autoimmune diseases too. Also and musculoskeletal pain disorders and osteoporosis are field of their work.