Hey guys,

I got a problem. I think my cat has a problem actually, but that makes it my problem as well. She is a pretty old cat, I think she is around nine years old already, I might be wrong, but it's somewhere around that.

It seems to me that my cat has lower back and neck pain. I'm not 100% sure since my cat can't tell me where she's in pain, but that's how it seems to me. I've heard from some friends who I called that it could be arthritis.

So I want to ask you this: Do you know the possible causes of arthritis, lower back and neck pain in older cats?

Hey Mia,

Listen, it doesn't necessarily have to be arthritis. About 50% of all the cats with lower back and neck pain should be feeling better within two weeks and 90% of all the cats within three months. This is regardless of the treatment, no treatment needed. Now if your cat doesn't get better after three months, there is probably some specific cause for that. 

In older cats, in most of the cases, the cause is arthritis. It is called a Spinal Stenosis and it is autoimmune. It happens to older cats, never to the young ones and it cannot be healed. 

Hey there.

I agree with Dalmatian Lover. Maybe it is not arthritis. But you should definitely check your cat because arthritis is more common and more severe in older cats. Diagnose is often based primarily on the presence of some risk factors in the home environment.

If you see any changes in your cat’s behavior it is important to visit the vet.

Remember that cats are really amazing masters of hiding discomfort and pain. Often they won’t show any sing of pain. So it is very possible that they won’t show any sign that is connected with arthritis.

Hello. I agree that cats don’t show any pain. Look, joints are naturally degenerated as a part of the aging process. When your cat is getting older there are huge possibilities that she can get arthritis, lower back and neck pain. Cartilage forms some cushion between the bones and joints. Well as your cat is getting older, this cartilage deteriorates and become less flexible than usually. Arthritis can also develop due some injuries or infection of the joint. If your cat is little bit overweight that can also cause arthritis and back pain. A numerous of causes are there so I really recommend you to check them with your vet.

Hello there.

Well it is often very difficult to determine what is the exact location of the pain in your car so I believe that you can’t really tell when his or hers neck is in pain or when he has some lower back pain.

Sometimes it is hard to tell where it hurts. Even your vet can have some issues determining the location of the pain.

Some potential causes are :

• Disease of the muscles surrounding the spine,
  • Soft tissue injuries,
  • Maybe bite wounds,
  • Infection,
  • Disc disorders,
  • Infection of the disk,
  • Trauma to the spin,
  • Fracture,
  • Dislocation etc .

Hello, thank you for your answers. I went to the vet yesterday, I did not take my cat with me cause she hates leaving the house and I didn’t want her to get stressed. We usually have the vet coming to our house when we need him.

This time I went alone and I explained him the symptoms my cat has. He asked me about her age and said that it is probably arthritis. I asked him a few things about it and we still need to confirm that, I need to schedule an appointment. I’ll probably do it next week.

Hey there everyone.

Mia, yes it is probably arthritis in your cat. My mom has a cat with arthritis and I know how this is can be a hard thing for pet and for pet owner.

Her cat really doesn’t show any pain like many other cats. She notice that something is going wrong with her when she show that she can’t walk like usually. I don’t want to mention that she was not able to run at all.

A lot of potential causes can cause this in older cats, but you will have to wait until you visit your vet.

Good luck.

Two of my cats have arthritis. It is awful. Especially cause they’re really old so they seem very weak and incapable to handle it. I hate seeing them like that. I just know that they are in a lot of back pain and there is nothing I can do about it. It’s devastating.

As for the possible causes, Love-is-pet listed pretty much all of them in that reply above. I still wasn’t able to figure out what caused this in both of my cats. I take them to the vet regularly but he never mentioned what led to this condition. :/

Well arthritis is rarely caused by one specific thing. It is usually caused by a combination of things.

And you need to know that there are several different forms of arthritis. All of them have different causes. And most of these forms are caused by several things acting together.

Some cats are naturally more prone to develop arthritis, some may have a good genetic background for this.

Of course infections can significantly increase the risk for arthritis and also if a cat is used to do very demanding physical exercise (which is rarely the case), it can cause spin trauma and eventually lead to arthritis.