Hello everyone,

I am faced with undergoing a robotic simple prostatectomy later this summer for my enlarged prostate. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this procedure and if they could share their experience here? I have had BPH for 20 years ( I am 67 now ) and have been on alfuzosin and dutasteride for over 10 years now. I have had three biopsies over the years ( all negative ) and recently had the MiPS urine screening and Apifiny blood serum screening for prostate cancer and all tests were clear.

A recent TRUS showed that my prostate had grown from 185 cc in 2011 to 285 cc now. There is a large median lobe pushing into the bladder neck. All other scans were good just showing mild bladder wall thicknening. Fortunately my flow stream remains good but I know it is just a matter of time.

I've looked at all the minimally invasive procedures available but my prostate is much too large for them. Recently I considered HoLEP but it seems the amount of tissue that must be removed would entail a lot of irritation to the urethra with a long catheter time post op and other possible complications.

So now my only option is a robotic SP but I cannot find any patient reports about the whole experience and long term advantages/disadvantages. I would much appreciate any feedback. I can travel anywhere in the US to the best hospital/doctors for this.

Thank you very much.