Hi, I have been thinking of starting jogging to stay fit. I think that this type of moderate exercise is best for me since I am not in my prime years. I believe that going to the gym or doing aerobics is for younger people. I have been talking my best friend into joining me but she refuses because she thinks that running is not good for our joints. I am a fifty seven years old woman and I would like to know is my friend right about jogging or should I start running?

Hello, and let me say that it is great that you want to do something good for your well-being. Jogging is an excellent way to exercise. You can do it anywhere, when you want to and you can choose the company. It can help you to strengthen your lower body muscles. The important thing is to take things slow. It will help you avoid any unnecessary injuries. Start with shorter routs and at slower pace. It is true that running forces the joints, but if you wear quality running shoes and set a reasonable distance joints should not be that stressed and you should be able to enjoy the run.

Take it slow and wear the right shoes. Don't force yourself to do a mile if feel that you can't. Slowly but surely is the key to making running/jogging work for you. 8)