Ive been diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently after several very unpleasant and painful episodes during which I could hardly walk, let alone run. Im drinking medications and have to take care about myself more than I used to. Doctors advised me to practice moderate physical activity. Im an avid runner, and I dont know how this syndrome will affect my running. Anybody with the same problem?

Muscle pain can be really, really unpleasant. You can always visit your doctor and seek something that can help you, some fibromyalgia pain relief, but you can also try some other things that are helpful for sure. For example. some exercise such as jogging or running may increase can your fibromyalgia pain at first. But, listen now, if you are doing it regularly, in that case, it can often decrease symptoms over time. So, you can visit your therapist instead, who can help you design a suitable program that also should include stretching, some good posture and relaxation exercise this issue. Soon, you will see some progress. Good luck! 

Fibromyalgia is a chronic syndrome and it can be very painful. There have been certain researches proving that its a genetically predisposed disorder. It can, of course, affect your running when one of more severe episodes occurs, but I dont think that running can deteriorate your condition. Those mild physical exercises can be carried out at a rehab centre under the supervision of a specialist. They can also tell you how to plan your running in order not to tire your muscles too much. I also believe that in certain cases, running can ameliorate the state by activating and exercising groups of affected muscles and joints. Anyway, together with medications and physical therapy I think that you will feel much butter.

I was diagnosed in June with Fibro, and it has effected all my physical activity. I feel better when I run, just not a day or two after. On good days, if you are like me, you feel like you can keep running just a little bit more. Then this causes bad days...I am still trying to figure out the balance of it all. Should have any useful wisdom to pass along, it would be much appreciated. I discovered diet and supplements make a difference, meat aggravates mine (especially red meat). I have found a couple of really useful books along the lines of diet and Fibro, but not much on exercise. They all just say, "stay as active as possible".

HELP, totally frustrated and confused here

Good to see your post, Tonyara! Not happy that you feel the way I do, frustrated and hurting, but good feeling I'm NOT alone. I too was just diagnosed with supposed Fibromyalgia, and being a long-distance runner, I'm disgusted--lol. I won't ever give up though, or let it stop my running, I guess I'll just have to build back up slowly. Just like you said, you run/exercise on good days, thinking you feel better, then pay for it later strangely. It makes no sense. I also have joint inflammation this whole year. Diet seems to help, I'm eating healthier now (also recently diagnosed hypoglycemic), and adding more fiber and salads, and energy bars with higher protein content, rather than one with just quick carbs. Interesting about the red meat you mentioned, as I know with Gout this food can raise Uric Acid blood levels and cause pain for those sufferers, and I'm still trying to figure out what all is involved here with this Fibro, going on in our bodies. It seems like a general term. All I know is, if we're on this board, then we're RUNNERS and FIGHTERS... we're STRONG and we'll FIGHT THIS and come out healthier... but I'd still LOVE ANY advice too right now about exercise from anyone who's gone through this for awhile. THANK YOU!!!!

I know I am too late with this post but I'm hoping it will help someone as the others did.

My doctor only said moderate exercise when he got the feeling that I couldn't do more. This past summer (after 8 years of not even bothering to try to run again, figured I couldn't), I tried running again and I'm up to a mile...well, OK, it's jogging and then I walk 4 miles. Each day and/or week I try to increase the length of the jog as opposed to the walk.

I haven't felt this good in YEARS. I've had fibro for over 10 years and I honestly think it's(jogging/walking) helped me more than hurt. When I told the doctor he said to keep it up and that my body would tell me when to quit.

NOW, the only time/s I would say don't push is if you are in a major flare and/or if you are suffering from some other condition where jogging is contraindicated. Otherwise, it will not 'hurt' the fibro.

I hope that you're have been able to run and that things are going well with you. Right now, I unfortunately have the flu, but before the fever hit, I was jogging steadily since April.

If you find yourself on this post/board again, please let us know how you do.

All the best .....Morus

I am interested in seeing what the poster have found since their last posts. I have had fibro for years and want to start up running. First Walking, then jogging, then running, of course. I am out of shape and 54 years old. Those who posted that they do run and found later they have Fibro, are you still running? I want something to work for me. I'm tired of getting fatter and more out of shape and want to start doing something about it.

thank you.. Gentle Hugs.. Pandy

Pandy.....you can definitely do it...if I did...you can. Can we talk offsite possibly. I can tell you exactly how I did it and how long it took me. Listen, I still have fibro, but I lost 40 lbs and I feel that I have more hope and more stamina. The weight loss is a big thing, but not the biggest...once you feel those endorphins kick in...it's like someone breathing life and hope into you again

Let me know if you want the details. THis makes me so excited and I'm so passionate about it that if I help only ONE person, I would feel complete!

Please let me know......if you want the 'boring' : ) details.

Love and hugs,

Maureen :)

Wow, fast reply. sure I would love to know how you did it. I have always loved walking, even that for a couple days after, makes me ache. I have not done even walking in a year and that I HAVE to get back to. I know just dieting doesn't work for me at all, when walking I start to lose weight. So my idea was to walk, then jog, then run, and I know I will feel much better. I do need to find out how bad you feel the next day and days. I can walk every day, but never feel better in the muscles after I walk. But I know I would feel better health wise when I get started again.

I would like the details on how you got started, Morus45. I have only been able to walk a few days here and there because of the weather being so cold here but I did get out today. Once I get in walking condition, I figure I can start jogging then running. How did you do it? slowly? or start running?

thank you, Pandy

Wow! I'm so excited to find this forum! I'm new here, but definitely not new to fibro. I've had it for about 15 years (half of my life) and I'm STILL trying to figure it out. I stumbled across this forum while I was searching for solutions for knee pain while running. I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y working my way up to running a 5K. I started back in December doing intervals (walk/run) with the Couch to 5K podcast and now I'm up to 25 minute runs (nonstop). Running is doing wonders for my body as well as my mood and I love the feeling of accomplishment I get from finishing a good run. The only problem is that I'm now having some ugly knee pain and I'm pretty convinced that it's from the fibro. My knees hurt in the same spot on both sides, on the inside of my knee... that oh-so-annoying tender spot.
Can anyone out there relate or share ideas on how to releive the pain? Right now I have to take Motrin before my run and Tylenol afterwards. It helps, but I'm looking for a better solution... preferably one that doesn't involve taking medicine. (Although I'm ok with vitamin suppliments).
I'm also aware that my shoes could be the culprit, so I would love some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I am so excited I find this forum, I know that I will be able to find a lot of answers to my questions.

I have an entire blog about what I have gone through with fibro - and beginning a walking program.....

I did not walk or run before I was diagnosed, so for me it has been quite the challenge to actually begin this for the first time at 36 years old.

Yesterday I completed the Eugene Half Marathon - mostly walking - it was great - and I finished - my next thing is running a 5K -

I think this is such a great thread, as people with fibro need to know that there are others out there that are doing this - The reason I started is because I saw a blog on a gal with fibro who is participating in Triathalons (that is my goal by the time I am 40)....I don't know if I would have started if I did not see others doing it -

Check out my blog - it is painfully long! But there is a lot of great information on diet, and supplements and books that I have found -

Hope others post on what they are doing - and I can hardly wait to be considered a "runner"......

Have a great day.
Koiotic

Koiotic,
I am trying to start running. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4 years ago. I am only 24 and I am not ready to let it get the best of me. I would love to know how you got started running. How do I get to your blog?
Ladybug04

Hey ladybug. You have link to koiotic's blog in his signature. ;)

Hi - Were you able to get to my blog - and by the way I am a "she" - sorry if my name sounds boyish.....I raise Koi - that is what the name is all about!

Let me know how the journey goes - Fibro should not get the best of anyone....and I would not change my journey for anything - I honestly believe that fibro has saved/changed my life for the better - and because of it I have become a better person and know so much about myself and body now - things I never could have learned from books - Only experience.

Good Luck - and Hope to hear more from you!!! And I would love to know how you are doing - so I can learn from you as well.......