does anyone have any good tips on how to identify when running shoes need to be changed, or a website that provides some good points?

also, is it alright to wear old running shoes for casual wear after they are no longer fit for running, or will this be harmful?

When the midsole wears out, the running shoe looses its functional stability. The best way to check for this to to look for creasing of the midsole material in areas of high load. Also watch for the torsional (twisting) stability of the shoe.

Usually, you should be able to get up to 1000km from a running shoe.

I change my running shoes every 1000km or every year, depending on which comes first.
You can feel when they are done - don't run in old shoes it can cause heaps of problems!!
As for wearing old shoes casually I use mine to hike in and so far so good.

One sure test is that if you can easily bend your shoe so the toe touches the heel then it is time to get some new shoes because the mid-sole is completely worn out.

generally a good rule of thumb is to get a new pair every three months (assuming you run almost everyday) i always write the date on my shoe with a little shapie when i buy them so i know when i need a new pair. im no expert but ive avoided injury pretty well and this is what all of my coaches and my trainer recomend.