I have started to run longer distances. I am getting better and better. My friend and his wife have joined me so there are three of us. I have noticed that their feet are normal and healthy while I have black nails on toes. What do you think am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. You maybe WEARING something wrong. Wrong or inappropriate running shoes can cause your toenails to turn black. Some runners consider this as a normal thing but they are wrong. This is not normal and if you wear comfortable running shoes you shouldn’t have this problem. Check with your friends and see what kind of shoes they wear. Then go to the shoe shop and talk with the experienced assistant. He/she will be able to help you to choose the right kind of shoes.

You may have a toenail fungus. A visit to the dermatologist will give you an answer no matter what. (I'm a former dermatology nurse.).

I don't think you are doing anything extremely bad. But I would change the shoes you wear.

-When running you should wear comfortable shoes with a little room to wiggle your toes.

-Make sure your feet can breath (so air can get in and out) while they are in the shoe.

-lastly go and see a doctor. It may be a type of fungal infection.

The problem is most likely in your shoes. Does is hurt? You should try with some other shoes and see if it would recover.

change running shoes! runnign shoes are the only equipment for this sport, so make sure they are good. if they aren't you can get into lots of trouble, even knee problems ...