When I run, especially when the weather outside is cooler, my inner ear begins throbbing after 1/2 a mile. It eventually becomes very painful, and to the point I have to stop and hold my ears closed.
Why is this? Is there anything that can be done?

I have been suffering with this for years myself so if anyone has any ideas, I would like to hear them! I don't think there is anything you can do but hopefully someone can prove me wrong. Thanks!

I have a problem with this too. I was diagnose with eustachian tube dysfunction, you may have it too. check with your doctor.

Ear pain can be very disturbing especially when you run. There can be several reasons that are causing this pain. Ear boil or accumulation of wax in ear could be the reasons of pain. Have you had any ear trauma in past period? How long does the pain last? Infection in the ear can cause this. But infection would give you pain all the time, not just when you are running. This can be an early sign of ear infection and this is good because it will be easier to treat it. However, ear pain treatment needs to be given by professional. Doctor has to do some test to make the right diagnosis for the ear pain.
Good luck,
Danella