First.... thank you for taking the time to read this post.

My fiancee has been having problems with his right ear for some time now. He gets these sharp stabbing pains in his right ear. It doesn't take much to trigger the pain---a cough, a drink going down the wrong pipe, even eating certain types of food (i.e. Chocolate), and from time to time it just hurts for the sake of hurting when he isn't doing anything to trigger it.

It kills me to see him like this. The pain brings him to his knees, literally... and his entire head turns bright red and his eyes tear up from the pain.

He says that the pain shoots straight from his ear to his jaw and occasionally to his neck. He had a ENT doctor look at his Eustachian Tubes and there was no blockage of any sort. He went to his family doctor thinking that maybe it was TMJ... the doctor said it wasn't. All he did was give him a nose spray and an ear drop to try to dull the pain. His jaw does click on that side from time to time.

Years ago he suffered a bike accident and injured that side of his face and neck. He has been having this pain for about three and a half years now, but his bike accident took place eight years ago; I'm not sure if it is related.

Thank you so much in advance, I realize this post is a little lengthy.

*Heather*

Oh Yeah... I forgot to mention that he has Tonsil Stones and Acid Reflux; I don't know if it is connected at all.

Can anyone offer any insight???

I have had many many surgeries on my ears. When I was in the military I blew both of my ears, I lost nearly everything inside both of my ears and had alot of reconstructive other various surgeries "long story so I'll spare you the details". Since then Ive had 10 years of problems of diziness, off balance, fluid build ups, extreme skin growth inside "has to be removed from time to time = not fun", and pain. All of which im told cannot be fixed. I spend days of thinking of ways to stick a knife, ice pick or whaterver I can to just jab in there and hope to be done with it. My fear is that only to do that would make things worse, how much worse I could make it, really seems very limited at times.

So, I guess what im saying is even after 10 years, every day im in bad shape and every day it seems to be worse than the day before. Essentually, I could say: "every day you see me, you see me on the worst day of my life." I know what rob's going through, im there myself and its even to this day undescribable in so many ways.

So, now im going to tell you what i think it is - what i have concluded over the years. Mind you that all the doc's ive met in my life over this deal, still have no clue whats going on. This is just my thoughts on it. When i had my left ear cut off for I think the second or third time something strange happend. It never fully healed - Its almost like a dislodged piece of meat. Not entierly, just seemingly in an important spot. inside just above the jaw and kinda in the neck deep in the lower part of the ear. after that surgery that pain has never stopped. Like you described above jaw pop, sneeze, cough - its like a presure thing but there seems to be something added that is unexplainable.

My cure for this (not a cure just helps keep me from dropping to my knees in extreme pain) when I cough or sneeze i ex-hale completely so there is very little air for me to blow, I open my mouth wider than my teeth (looks funny so cover your mouth) but i keep my teeth uniform and nearly touching at the front. Jaw clicking: I know this sounds funny but this sh*t is the worst, every once in a while you yawn or open your mouth funny and it hits "unbelievable pain". If yawning ex-hale instead of in-hale "its hard to get use to doing but it really helps".

As far as the constant pain or out of no-where pain. I just grit my teeth and have to deal with it. I hope that just 1 of these things that I do will help him out, because I know what hes going through and what you go through having to watch him. Maybe one day a real doctor will know the answer to all this.

I don't know if you will see this so many years hence, but I have the same symptoms. I also have gout, and my right ear acts up when I have a gout flare in a joint. I had a complete ear/nasopharyngeal exam which found nothing abnormal. I have had no trauma to my ear, nor do I have any infection. There is little relief for this pain which can be short in duration to several days. I would appreciate it if you have found out anything since that works. Thanks,

I have suffered this outer ear pain for a long time I think it happens mainly when I sleep and it wakes me up and also if I have back pain. the pain is unbearable, you do feel people don't believe this and also doctors. this is not good enough . the pain is actually causing sleep problems which ifnterferes with your life because you can not function normally.