Exactly one week ago, I started to have a strange throbbing sensation on the right side of my throat. About halfway between the base of my jaw and my clavicle. On the anterior face of my neck, and very medial. It feels almost as if it's inside my trachea. When I bend forward and blood moves up towards my head it throbs and hurts more. My right ear and mastoid process feel slightly affected but I think it's just a reaction to the pain origin. I've been searching online for answers, but no one seems to be pin pointing, it just seems like everyone's asking about the same thing. I don't have insurance so I don't want to go to the doctor's unless I absolutely have too. I do smoke cigarettes, Marlboro No. 54 - 100's, but I'm not an avid smoker. The pain hasn't been this bad, since day 1. So I'm worried it's progressing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Kelsey,

You have a wonderful knowledge of anatomy and physiology and it really helps when people can help us medical professionals locate their problems. The region between the mandible and the clavicle contains the thyroid. I'm wondering If maybe you don't have thyroiditis or the inflammation of the thyroid.

The common symptoms are pain in the throat and jaw region and extending to the ear. Depression, unexplained weight gain, depression, uncoordination, to even lethargy and edema (swelling) of the hands, feet, neck, and legs.

However, you mention smoking, and as a doctor I have to nag you (yes thats right, nag you) about quitting. When you smoke you dry out the lungs but you also expand (dilate) the blood vessels in the neck and this causes compression on the thyroid and surrounding tissues. 

I recommend the following: If the problem is still present and symptomatic you need to go to a doctor. They will check your thyroid, run some blood work, and make a more accurate diagnosis. Also, quit smoking ;-).

Pressure on your trachea might be caused by a Thyroid nodule.