I had a strange experience tonight. I was standing up when suddenly my stomach started hurting. At first it felt like an upset stomach, but then my back started hurting too.

The pain was throbbing, severe, and radiating through my lower back and stomach (but my back hurt worse). I had to sit down because it hurt too badly to stand. My lower back was tender to the touch as well. The pain lasted for about a half an hour and then went away. I was left feeling shaky all over and tired, and my lower back and legs feel weak. I am clueless as to what caused this.

I've never experienced anything like this. I can say for sure that it was not a "regular" stomache ache or a muscle spasm. It was strange and painful enough that I considered waking my husband to ask him to take me to the hospital.

Some more info about me: I'm 27 y/o, female, I am not and have never been pregnant, I've never had any kind of PMS or menstrual pain ever (not due for it anyway), and I have no prior back problems or injuries. I wasn't doing anything strenuous when the pain started, just standing.

Does anyone have any idea what this pain could have been? I'm worried about it coming back at a bad time, like when I am holding my infant children (they are adopted in case you are wondering how I have kids without being pregnant :-)). I am also wondering if I should go to the doctor. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Ok let me start from the beginging, I came on my period for 2 weeks and then it stopped, but as soon as I came off I have had these really weird and horrible pains going through my stomach and up to my ribs and then they Go round onto my lower back! I went to the doctors and they didnt no what it was! I am only 18 and have been in a relationship for 3 years so its not a sti!

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong please any answers would be a help :-(

Hayley2009, did you ever find out what was causing these pains? I'm currently experiencing the same thing. I feel like I have a constant stomach ache, feel pressure under my ribs (the first day, but not so much since), pain radiating around my lower back but seems to be throbbing on my left lower back especially when I'm sitting down.

i have the same problem im 16 and i dont know what it is...
i cant walk properly
hayley did u find out what itwas???

The same thing happen to me last night. My stomach began to hurt. Seconds later it moved to my lower back on each side began to throb with pain. The pain lasted for all of 20 mins. It started as a dull pain and increased with great intensity.

The pain left just as it came, throbbing with lower intensity until it was complete gone. During the whole event, I broke in to an intense and visible sweat due to the pain. I at times feeling as if i would vomit.

It was very scary. Scary enough to make me wake my wife in the event something really bad was happening to me.

Sorry to bring up and old topic, but I'm 15 and this has been happening to me too. It really hurts and is really scary... :-(

did anyone ever find out what this was caused by, I have had an ache all day under my left breast which feels like a stomache ache but at times it radiates in a kind of winding motion around my back and it throbs on my right hand side back just above hip height. I do have IBS but it has never felt like this before. At first I thought it was indegestion as it started as a pressure pain in my chest/neck which felt like i needed to burp, I took some antacid for it which relieved the pain in my neck but left me with the other pain.

hi honey, me too!its so bad i cry all day and all night,i've been to the hospital,ekg to check for kidney stones and its not that so they gave me a shot of torridol,and the pain was gone but only for  1 night,the next morning the same thing very bad lower back pain going through my stomach,worst of all its been 1 week and a half and it wont go away,  are you still having this? especially when i breath,and a big breath will make me scream,an i cant been over with out me cryin,if you have any solutions for me please,please let me know,and let me know if you still are going throu this,thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

please reply,im so scared i bought a life insurance plan for the kids 16 and 18,,and im going to be 51 this year,

my similar pain turned out to be a rather bad kidney/bladder infection. Upon going to the doctors i was given an internal check and swab, it was so painful down there when the DR was checking and she said i was very red inside and almost looked bruised, she also said my cervix was dilated even though i am not pregnant but said it could be because of pressure from my infected bladder, gave me a 6 day course of antibiotics which did the job and she sent away some swabs which did show thrush although i had no symptoms of thrush at all. I also did take a urine sample with me which showed bacteria and blood when checked. I would go to the doctors and say you think you have a water infection, take a sample with you. My pain in my back was higher up than it was in my stomach, is this the same with you? 

Hi all, you should get tested for pancreatitis. Sounds like it from the sharp sever abdomon pains and lower back pains. It is usually cause my alcohol but mine is heriditary and I've been having attacks since I was 8. alcohol and consumption of fatty foods make it worse but next time you get this pain you should go to the ER and ask them to test for pancreatitis by measuring your lipades and amalase levels. There is no cure, I just get admittied for about a week and am not allowed to have any food or water for the entire time and am given pain killers via IV when I have an attack. hope this can help anyone.

I had a similar pain tonight. Their was very little pain in my back, but intense, throbbing pain in my lower stomach, right below the naval. When I got up and walked, it helped a little bit. When I layed down, it got a bit worse. I'm 13, and have never experienced anything like this before. I had just finished doing some stretches when the pain started. It lasted almost an hour then began to die down. Anyone have any idea what it could be? :-|

dear 13 year old, this could be a water infection but given your age and providing you are a female then this could be abdominal cramps, have you had your period before at all?

I had the similar pain of stomach ache thinking it was just because I skipped breakfast. Even after I got home and ate, the pain continued until I laid down for a nap. I was so relieved when I woke up to feel the pain had gone away but about 2 min. after getting up, it set in again.

I googled it and another website had someone saying they had a pinched nerve in their lower back. I have a chiropractor friend so I called him and he said sometimes when you're (your back) out of alignment, nerves or muscles will get unwanted pressure on them. Because these nerves are closely connected w/ our organs that's what would cause a stomach ache.

I decided to sleep on it and that didn't go so well. I was up in the middle of the night hunched over into fetal position praying for the pain to go away.

This pain started as a stomach ache (central, abou 6 inches above belly button) and then my lower back started aching after a while. When I lay down, it takes off the pressure/tension so then I'm okay, but just okay. When I stand up, it's aching again.

Sidenote: I'm 24 years old, didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, no chance of getting pregnant.

I woke during the night with abdominal pain a few weeks ago and I thought it was one of my organs. It was painful to roll over, move, breath etc. In the morning the pain was still there, I concentrated on breathing deeply, although it hurt and drank a lot of lemon juice thinking maybe my liver needed a bit of a flush. The pain subsided after a couple of days and I thought no more of it. 3 months later in the evening (around 10pm) the pain returned, with no apparent reason for the onset. The pain feels like it is just beneath my belly button on the right hand side and it feels very deep. I wasn't sure what it was and it wasn't as severe as the last time. During the night I had to lift my daughter to carry her to the bathroom and I felt the pain strongly as I lifted her, in the morn g I woke with the abdominal pain still there and the added pleasure of having pulled my lower back muscles. I do have a history of lower back pain (once a year although it had lowered greatly in frequency). I went to get acupuncture and remedial massage for my back and the masseuse advised me that the stomach pain was actually one of my lower back muscles too and it could only be accessed by treating the muscle from the stomach. I am now 4 days past the onset and I am almost at 80% compared to 20% at the time. This is just something to think about, I am a male in my late 30's and realize most of the people that have posted here are females. My masseuse advised me that the muscle in question does feel like internal organ failure and some have been close to being operated on before people realise the problem is actually muscular. Good luck

Hi, Im 18 years old , i have been havin the same pains in my tummy the upper part of my tummy and the right side of it , and the pain when to my lower back and it hurts like crazy, i havent had my period yet, i missed my first period , and i havent been pregnant before , this seriously is scaring me , the pain i feel makes me wanna cry or yell , it all happened ever since i ate Pizza!!! i wanna know whats going on , i have been feeling like i need to through up at different times , can someone help me with answers :( !!!