Alright, well I am new to running. Well I should actually say new to the idea of running, considering the fact that so far it's just an idea. I want to start running, but haven't actually gone yet.

I have been overweight all my life, and am finally ready to just get on the ball and lose weight (I've lost about 20lbs so far) and become more active and fit and all that. And I know anybody on this site is going to be biased, but is running really the best way for me to achieve my goals?

Since I am just beginning, how important is what I wear? Both on my feet and my body.

I need to just get more motivated and stop talking to much about running and just do it. :)

First, congratulations on the weight loss - not an easy feat in itself. :thumbsup:

You didn't give us much information on what your present level of fitness is, or what kind of exercise program you're following right now. You might want to begin with walking (I did).

There is a beginner's running program called Couch to 5K here. Hundreds of runners, including some of the folks here, have had great success with it. I used a similar program from Runner's World.
Go easy, and feel free to repeat a week if you need to - there is no "one size fits all" program.

What you wear on your body isn't so important right now, but I would recommend a trip to a specialty running store (not one of the "big box" sporting goods stores) to get fitted for proper shoes. It's not an exact science, and it may take a couple tries to get the right shoe, but you typically have 30 days to return them.

Good luck! :D

:wavey: welcome

shoes are very important, don't buy the latest and greatest shoe but be fitted (like zatoichi said). a good proper fit is the first thing you'll need.

as far as clothing goes, don't run in cotton. try to get some cool-max shirts and shorts. you'll sweat in cotton

dont forget to drink lots of water too - 6 to 8 glasses a day.

To clarify, you'll sweat no matter what you wear. The difference is that cotton will soak up the moisture and hold it. Not only will you be carrying a couple pounds of water in clothing, but it can lead to chafing and blisters. Good athletic clothing will not hold much moisture but "wick" the moisture away from your skin where it will evaporate. It's much more comfortable all around.

My thoughts:

The Couch to 5k program is one of the better ones out there to get you started. You can also adapt it so that if you are struggling on some weeks you can just repeat the week rather than moving up, but try to keep progressing.

Shoes are the only thing you need to buy, and I would recommend getting fitted at a running speciality store. There is no perfect shoe, just a perfect shoe for you. It may take a little time finding it, but the specialty store will know more about running shoes than anywhere else.

Clothes. Doesn't matter. Yes, moisture wicking material will feel somewhat better than cotton, but let's not jump the gun here. When you know for sure this is something you want to long term, then think about buying some Coolmax shirts or shorts or socks or whatever. Until then, cotton has worked just fine for years. The shoes will be the biggest expense (and worth every penny when you get a pair that fits right) and the clothes aren't necessary for the moment.

Unless you have plenty of money to toss around, in which case buy everything, but it isn't necessary. And if you do have that much money, can I have a couple hundred?

:1: that's what i was tryin' to say.....nothing worse than a heavy cotton T shirt that doesn't breathe. :umno:

You're right! We are biased :-D If your goal is to lose weight, running is one of the quickest ways to do it. You'll burn somewhere around 100 calories per mile. (It's a little more complicated than that, but close.) The thing I've found is that after running, I'm actually less hungry than before. Definitley not the case with some other sports. So between the two, you'll lose weight fast. The trick is to find an activity you like and stick with it. I might get flamed for saying this, but running isn't for everyone. On the other hand, give it a chance. Run consistantly for 3 weeks and then let us know what you think. (3 weeks will give your body time to figure out what you are doing to it and adapt.) Best of Luck!

You're right! We are biased :-D If your goal is to lose weight, running is one of the quickest ways to do it. You'll burn somewhere around 100 calories per mile. (It's a little more complicated than that, but close.) The thing I've found is that after running, I'm actually less hungry than before. Definitley not the case with some other sports. So between the two, you'll lose weight fast. The trick is to find an activity you like and stick with it. I might get flamed for saying this, but running isn't for everyone. On the other hand, give it a chance. Run consistantly for 3 weeks and then let us know what you think. (3 weeks will give your body time to figure out what you are doing to it and adapt.) Best of Luck! I'm more hungry when I run. But as long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you'll lose

First of all, thanks for all the responses.

I'll respond to any comments in order.

My fitness level is quite low right now. I have never been a very athletic person, but I want that to change. I think I definitely will try that couch to 5K plan. I had seen it before, but never really tried it, but you all say it's good so I figure what have I really got to lose, besides this weight?

I will have to check out some stores for special "coolmax" clothing, although I think I will wait a few weeks before investing alot of money into anything. So unfortunately I don't have a couple hundred to give Pug

I think whether running will make me hungry or not is just something I'll have to wait and see. And I'm sure you can expect me to ask about nutrition at some point.

So, thanks again guys.

About the coolmax/athletic clothing, go to Wal-Mart or Target and buy some of the cheap stuff. Usually you can get a shirt for 10 bucks or so, mabe a little more for the shorts. One set won't break the bank and after a few runs in it you can decide whether or not it's worth the money.