new runner here. i'm 6 3 250 and am looking to lose 30 to 40lbs. I cut my eating portions in half. I have been running for about the last 2 weeks. 3 miles every morning after breakfast and running a mile and walking a mile every night after dinner. (just on the weekdays) I was just wondering if this workout is ok and if I will lose weight. its been 2 weeks like i said and I haven't noticed any weight loss. just feel slimmer. roughly runnin 20 miles a week and walkin 5 miles a week. thanks for any info.

Seeing no weight loss is positive though. It means there's not been a gain! Don't beat yourself up. 25-miles a week looks like the tipping point. That's largely true for me too. Less than that and the 'spare tire' starts to inflate, but when I push it up and over that, usually past 30-mi per week, I start to see the weight go down. My advice would be add some more miles. Maybe make the evening walk 2-mi. After a few weeks of it, add a mile to your run on tues/thur. Then after a few more weeks of that, add another mile to the tue/thur. Then after a few weeks of that, add a half mile to the mon/wed/fri runs. You get the idea. 25-mi is commendable and a tremendous start, but bumping the mileage into the 30's is when you'll see the scale do what you'd like it to. :)

it's also possible that your body fat level has gone down and your running muscles have picked up. you'd be slimmer while at the sa,e weight since muscle is denser than fat.

That pretty much covers what I was going to say.

Chances are there hasn't been much change in your body composition, and 'feeling slimmer' is just that, feeling. I'd give it a couple more weeks before you start to see any difference on the scale, and a couple months before you start to actually see any difference. But don't let this discourage you; once you see the results it will be one of the more rewarding times you can have.
Also, consider eating cleaner foods instead of cutting your portions in half. Especially if you're working out a lot now, your body will need calories to keep functioning properly. A large caloric deficit is going to catch up with you eventually and you're going to feel very worn out, eventually dissuading you from working out and keeping on your diet. The pounds will certainly come off the scale quicker if you eat half of what you would normally eat, but those pounds are going to go right back on once your body slows down to compensate for the missing calories.
Good luck, and congratulations on the new lifestyle!