I was asked recently about one v. the other. I gave my opinion which was not very scientific. Does anyone have any information or, even better, links to websites that discuss the similarities/differences that I can pass along to this interested party? Thanks!

I got curious to do a little web surfing and there's a few studies out there on heart patients and such where treadmills were compared to ellipticals in regard to therapy. Of couse the ellipticals come out on top in a study like that since we're talking about taking people from ground zero fitness and looking at low-impact exercise and minimizing injury. So in the context of which is "safer" or which is "lower impact", the elliptical is better.

But going beyond what I'd call, baseline fitness, preparing for performaces like racing or maximing all those running engineering favorites like VOmax and aerobic thresholds, there's probably few if any studies, because it nearly goes without saying that running is the ultimate for those measures.

What many non-running people I think stumble in understanding is yes, running can be hard on a body in certain regards, but the benefits of a long-distance running program offers such huge rewards, they pale out drawbacks. I have no qualms admitting that they guy at the fitness center that spends 20-minutes a day on the elliptical and another 15-minutes in the pool is probably treating his body better in many regards than I do with a 35-minute run, but in the measures that are important to me.. endurance and speed, I'm living the high life in comparison.

Cool link, J. Will forward it. This question was posed by a guy who normally runs 25-30mpw but due to 3 stress fractures in one foot (two of which caused floating bone particles) was told by his doc he shouldn't run anymore. So he has a good fitness base, just doesn't want to lose it.

*so this is what happens when you wander into the other forums*

i was just wondering myself!

i started hitting the gym at school and i've been digging on the elliptical because it's low impact.

for me my back and piriformis have always been hurting so i've been too scared to really get into running because the pain was always there after workouts, during the day, anytime.

the problem i found is that you can't hit your stride. i mean your legs barely move.

granted you can load up a fat burner program which isn't so much speed or endurance or anything, but your heart gets a pretty decent workout and my bodyfat is showing improvement.

but i'd really rather be running...

i don't know, it's a nice switch from the bikes though.

-blue

ps. i've never been a fan of tredmills. they *hurt*.

it's outside or nothing for me. (or at least a big indoor track)