Hello everyone I am new to running and new to the forum. My question is I have have been trying to lose all the weight I have gained from this past year in college. I have been running a 1 3/4 mi track everyday. My question is which is better for getting in shape-going for pace/speed or going for distance? For example if I try for pace I usually run the track 1 time and it takes me about 13-18 min or if I go for distance I run around the track 2 times. Which is better?

Personally, I would go for the distance first to get in shape. That's just me. I would not worry about the time, just get the milege in and build up the speed later on.

I bet you'll get mixed opinions on this subject. I lost 30 pounds last year and it gradually came off as I increased my milege with walking first then running.

Good Luck.

Welcome to RF! :wavey:

I agree, go for distance and then every time try to improve your time on that distance, then when you feel you have got your fitness up to a level were that distance is 'easy' for you (or as easy as it gets haha) then go for 3 times, and build up your speed on that. :)

Disatance, distance, distance.

the higher your exertion the more blood carbohydrates you burn and less fat (percentage speaking) so running longer at a slower rate will burn off more fat. Also if you can get to the point where you run longer than 40 minutes you can really kick in the fat burning process due to the fact that the blood sugar is pretty much all used up and the body has to rely on the stored fat even more so.

PS, :wavey:

welcome to the asylum....um...er i mean forum.

I ran short distances, fast for a long time. Once I started getting my miles up (very slowly built a base) to around 25-30 miles a week, I lost a bunch of weight. Just make sure that you're careful building a base, especially if you haven't been running long.

This is great advice here. :D Here's a great plan to follow if you are just getting started with your running and want to build up a solid base. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Many people have used this program to get started and they've done quite well.

Awesome, thanks for all the advice guys!

I know it's a bit late, but I agree with the others.

Welcome!!