Hello everyone. I'm occasional runner, so to speak, but lately I started to run more often also covering larger distances. However, I'm still not so great runner. I can run two miles in around 17 minutes. I'd like to prepare 5K race, but 2.5 miles is my limit and I find it very hard to pass this distance. I'd appreciate any advice on how to improve my running.

Hi. 5K run is actually a great distance for a beginner and it requires a smart combination of speed, endurance, and mental grit. Good training for 5k should include three aspects: speed, endurance and fitness. Good 5K training schedule should also incorporate a mix of running, walking and resting. This combination helps reduce the risk of injury, stress and fatigue while giving you the gradual boost. Running or walking slowly a lot will help your body adjust to 5K training schedule. You'd probably need few weeks to adapt. Also, you'll need a lot of walking in the beginning. As the training progresses, you'll gradually increase the amount of time running and reduce the amount of time walking. Also, don't forget to take day or two for the rest (in a week) giving your muscles time to recover.