When you wake up and your throat is sore and your ears hurt and your body feels sore, is that one of those days you aren't supposed to run. Or would running help?

I forgot the rule.

everyone is different - I don't think a rule could apply
but I've heard that as long as it's not in your chest...to go for it

Rest.

Whenever in doubt, rest is the best answer.

You can always do more damage by running when you shouldn't instead of not running when you could have.

More lines from my soon to be published "Caveman Runneth"..

If I can get out of bed, I run. Even just to log a 2-miler. It's all my own theory and probably only works for selected neandrathals. Once I'm on the road, I sweat and it feels good. If I have congestion, I hack, spit and sputter it out. If I'm sore, it gets worked off. Then afterwards, I feel better and once I do rest, I rest more soundly.
Like I said, it's not for everyone, but being sick rarely halts my training.

I'm a wuss, I do the rest-and-not-run thing.

***Update***

I usually run when I'm sick because I've found that it seems to help me get better more quickly.

Today was the exception to the rule. I went home and slept from 10 am to 4:30. I got up and tried 1 mile. I almost didn't make it. I kept wanting to stop so I could lay down and go back to sleep.

The good news is that I don't feel any worse for doing it. But I think I'm much more worn down than I previous thought.

I might end up sleeping in tomorrow, too. With no running.

:1: Remember to NEVER run with a fever - trust me, that's bad.
And I want a copy of that book, j.

depends on how bad it is-running with a mild sore throat or a little stuffy nose is ok but you should definitely rest when you have a fever or chest congestion/cough.

If it's a race...don't do it.

:1: Couldn't have said it better. I think a run helps my sore throat and congestion, but if I think I have a fever or am feeling fatigued due to illness, I don't run.

This should be looked at on a case-by-case and varies from person to person. So it's totally up to you to decide whether or not you're up for a run when you're sick. You definitely put yourself at risk to get even sicker if you do try and run.

no, running wouldn't help.... from experience... been there, tried that and ended in bed for following few days.
Just take a break for next few days - when you feel bad, you can't run - rest instead for a while (I know it is easier said than done..)

You won't recover any quicker if you run sick. Resting your organism until full recovery is the best tip.

A lot of people do say not to run when you're sick but I have done it before and didn't really get worse. On the other hand, by running, I may have taken a little bit longer to recover than I would have if I had just rested. So I guess it's not always the best thing to do..

Trail Running Blog