From last (a week ago) Saturday morning, I went five days without running, due to being sick. I ran easy on Thursday afternoon for 4 miles, off Friday, easy 4 again Saturday evening, and then bombed my Sunday long run. I attempted to go out for 10+ miles, and ended up walking back after only 3.5 out. Finished with 5.5 miles run. Felt like I had not run in 3 months.

I have been consistantly running 40-55 miles per week, for the last 4 months, getting ready for several races that are approaching (half marathon in 3 weeks on the 13th of August).

My question is, how much did I lose, and why did I feel SO badly on Sunday? I never take 5 days off, so this is new to me. I am frustrated!!!!! My confidence is shaken a bit...

What do you guys think?

With the mileage you say you've been doing you shouldn't have lost much if anything. But, if sunday was only your third day back running and depending on how sick you were you may not have recovered from being sick (if it was like a bad flu or the whooping cough). Did you stay hydrated during your illness?

Was the weather there like the surface of the sun when you ran? I've had some runs lately in high temps that weren't too pretty.

running in the heat is one thing that drains me

running after illness is also tricky. i had the flu last weekend, 9 days ago, and i am still not feeling 100% when i run; i am short of breath and wheezing :umno: when i run, with no real symptoms when i'm not running.

if you had any kind of lung congestion, i'd be more patient with the comeback...that stuff can linger and mess with your breathing.

Some thoughts, whatever they are worth:

If you were sick enough to not eat (stomach flu, intestinal mess) it seems to take more out of you and a longer time to rebound. Ditto RR's thoughts on lung congestion, and if you're really lucky, you can make youreself sick again running with lingering chest congestion, bronchitis and such. Also, various forms of sick lend to dehydration (obviously diarrhea but a sore throat can if you just don't want to swallow) and I can't run anywhere if I'm dehydrated.

Long story short, you may still be recovering, take it easy, don't push, get lots of rest, water, etc. It will come back. Just don't make yourself sick again (sicker) by pushing it too soon.

Thanks for the input.

The cold I had was a head cold, fever, and sore throat. Nothing in the chest.

I tried running again tonight, and had better results. I hit my local trail for 4 miles and geared it up hard the last third. Had a fast time by the time I finished. Afterward, I did a 1 mile pick-up to test my legs a bit and hit a 6:26 and then hit four 400's at 1:23. Looks like my leg speed is still there.

I am taking tomorrow off to be safe, and then back to routine on Wednesday.

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully this funk is behind me.