I have been having the same problem with loud beating in my right ear for a year now. It woke me up & started suddenly. I have been to all the dr.'s even to an ear specialist & had all of the tests. In the end of all of the running around & sitting for appointments & going through all of the garbage for it the ear dr. tell's me "Learn to live with it" ! Nice guy huh ? Truth is he doesn't have the knowledge about this & no one does.
It's the strangest, most irritating thing I have ever had.

I get the same sort of thing. What you should do is take your pulse the next time you get it to see if they coincide.
If they dont its some kind of inner ear spasm. Its very loud and annoying.
If it does coincide with your heartbeat then you are hearing your pulse through or near your eardrum. If you have a partner get them to listen to your ear (honestly!) the next time it happens, to see if they can hear it too. If they can its called a 'Bruit' and is usually some kind of blood turbulence.