hi, I have been having problems with me left ear for a few years, blocked feeling and constant pain, eventually i was sent to a specialist at the ENT and in dec 2011 i had a grommet fitted, this worked great in my left ear and i can now hear again, and have no pain, but the same day i had the grommet fitted in my left ear, my right ear became blocked and fuzzy, i went back to see the ENT again and it was sugested i had a grommet fitted in my right ear, so jan 31st 2012 i had a grommet put in my right ear and since then it has been worse then before, it now feels like my ear is blocked i can here myself muffled talking, and i have a constant swooshing noise like air being blowing around in my right ear but this is very! loud, i can even here it above the tv and when people are talking, it never seems to ease or stop, ive been reading some information online and now i'm worried this is a permenent thing, its driving me crazy theres no reast from it, does anyone know if this is some form of tinitus? or if this will eventually go away? please please someone give me some hope, i was wondering if it would be possible to get the grommet taken out? if so would this stop the swooshing noise?

I have exactly the same thing, grommet inserted two weeks ago, instant impression of deafness in spite of normal hearing test, whooshing, muffled sounds, heartbeat at night, the whole thing.

What reassures me a bit is that a lot of people have complained about this on the web, but not many have come back on the web afterwards and said, yes, it's still awful, it's been a year and it never went away.  I'm hoping they haven't come back on because their symptoms DID go away, slowly, and they just forgot to come back on with news.

My teenage son also had a grommet inserted, a couple of years ago, and he says he had the same symptoms but doesn't remember how long they lasted, and I don't either.  He didn't say anything at the time about actually HEARING differently, and I know his ear drained for several weeks.  Mine hasn't drained anything at all, so I figure (no help from the doctor) that there's a eustachian tube blockage further down and it'll just take time to drain, either out the ear or through the sinus passages (sorry to be graphic).

But I agree, this is so irritating, I feel as if I'm talking to everyone from the bottom of a well !

Give it some time and we'll both see if it clears up by itself.  I'm making a note to myself to come back on the site in six months to say how things developed.

I hope i'm offering some reasurance here, i had a gromet in my left ear Dec 2011 and a gromet in my right ear Jan 2012, when i had the one done in Dec, i had no problems, so i went ahead and had the right one done.
Later that day i WISHED i hadn't had it done! i had all the symptoms as you whoosing muffled sound all of it, a couple of days later it got worse i was crying, i thought i was going mad, i was so affraid that the loud whooshing noise and muffled cotton wool head, was permenent, but as days and weeks went by, it has got soooo much better, and i guess as days go by its improving more, my only annoying problem is that at night i still get the whooshing, i do find by putting ear plugs in it lessens the whooshing, and i'm hoping in time my ears will be back to normal with no whooshing, the cotton wool feeling has gone, and my earing is ok, i know its awfull now but i'm sure as days go by it will get better for you. I do know that i would'nt have it done again, i would sooner suffer with all the pains i was having.

hi,i just had a grommet fitted in my left ear,3 days ago,i don't like it,it feel like my ear have something stuck there all the time,i have a earache and my glands are up,people say i sound muffled when i talk,i have swooshing sounds to,i want them to remove it,don't like it,wish i never had it done,

I am totally the same deaf - the whooshing is driving me mad and yawning is painful. I am beside myself - please could you all tell me what happened with you - did you have an infection? Did the grommets get taken out? i am desperate :-((

i Had 2 gromets in my ears today. after surgery i an getting whoosing muffled sound, the ent said he out cotton in the ear. that will come on its own. i have had eustatuion problems for several month i could ear water in my ears for months all kind of medicaine, nothing worked. he said it is allergies.i have to make several airplaine trips in the next few mounts. he said he would take the tubes out in a few months. you sa : but as days and weeks went by, it has got soooo much better" u man the whooshing? how many months. I a wondering when the l gromets come out the whooshing will stop HELP!!

i already have tinnituss in my left hear fro 28 years i have learned to live with it.

I also have a wooshing noise in my right ear, doctors have sent me for MRI scans and hearing tests... all they have said it my hearing isn't as good as it should be for a 19 year old.... can anyone help me on telling me what might actually be wrong? I am still waiting for my MRI results and I have now started to get sharp pains through my ear, swelling and bad head aches near my temple... do I go to the hospital or just await my results?

Hi , I had gromets put into left and right ears to help me to have less pressure in my head whilst on aeroplane. The first set i had it was muffled, had the heartbeat at night was so loud, and after 2 weeks the right one fell out. The hearing became normal. The left one remained for four months and I had a loss of hearing and the heartbeat whilst it remained. However my second set of gromets has had a completely different result. I could tell the difference immediatley after coming out of theatre. I could hear clearly and it wasn't muffled. My hearing was 95% compared to the normal 100% and after two weeks it cleared up even more. For some reason my right ear seems to push out the grommet earlier than the left ear and two months later it fell out. I still have the left one in but it became blocked and I cant feel that air going through that ear which tells me its working properly. My surgeon said the ears will react differently each time the operation is done. You can have them removed by the ear specialist without an operation. I think you should get them taken out and try the procedure again. I know the pain you went through, but have them removed and you will be grateful. Than consider having them again. They are not permanant so that is wat is great about the gromets. See ent again.

Just to give an update - I had the grommet placed in February, had all these whooshing sounds/heartbeat sounds and discomfort anywhere with noise (restaurant or concert quite painful !). During the summer I asked him to take it out and he did. I've flown several times since then and no discomfort. However about a month ago I was putting together a do-it-yourself chair and leaning over with my head down for about ten minutes, and suddenly I felt a whoosh of liquid shift in that ear, as if I had water in the ear after a shower, but definitely inside. Nothing came out since there's no grommet or hole in the eardrum, but I certainly know there's something in there. I hesitate to have a grommet put in again, especially since I can now fly without discomfort. So I can live with this status quo and I'll only consider doing a grommet again if it gets worse. Interesting comment below from someone who had a grommet put in twice with two completely different results. Wouldn't you think that some ear specialist would LISTEN to all of us and research this uncomfortable phenomenon ??? !!!

It will go. I had it for 2 weeks afer I had my grommets fitted but the whooshing and hearing my heart beat went. I have never experience ear pain after but I must say that my hearing is not as good as it used to be. The doctor said that with these infecions before grommets insertion I would have had a bad hearing anyway and that it is a tough bargain. But I am sure the whooshing in your ear will go

Have you had any news on the noise? I'm hearing the wooshing noise as well.