It looks like I will be starting insulin therapy soon.  I should have seen it coming since my blood sugars were acting up and I was already on medication when it happened.  THis is the next thing in line, I guess.  So I am really wanting to know about insulin therapy and what's it like?  Do you feel weird when taking insulin?  Do you find you feel better than before?  What is it like to have to poke yourself with a needle every day... is it always painful or does a person get over it?  Do you bleed a lot with the injection?  You can tell I am a bit nervous about the whole thing.  I need to go to the pharmacy and pick up my needles and insulin but I have been putting it off.  I hope someone can offer me some support.  THanks!

I’m sorry to hear about your dilemma about the insulin therapy but it will be the best thing for you. You should not feel any differently being on the insulin than you when you were not.  If anything, you should feel better since your blood glucose will be taken up and used by your body’s cells rather than floating around in your circulatory system wreaking havoc.  I believe most every insulin user gets used to the injections.  The needle is very tiny compared to needles that are used with influenza shots.  You should barely feel it, especially since insulin is injected in the fatty tissue of the abdomen.  You will not bleed much if at all.  When I have administered insulin shots to patients, there was little to no blood.  The lancets probably hurt worse since they poke your fingertips anyway.  I believe you should be just fine with taking insulin.  I wish you good luck with everything.