Im scheduled to have my tonsils removed in ten days, using the cobalation method.
My doc says its less pain and less recovery time ..
Till now all i read is research based stuff but i didnt find any personal experience regarding cobalation...
So can anyone help ?
what happens afterwards ??
Does it hurt a lot ?????

Thanks in advance everyone ....

HOw has this gone for you? I am about to get coblation tonsillectomy. How are you doing?

Hi
I'm due to have the same this Thursday. Have you had the op? If so, love to hear your experience. I have also found it very difficult to find information. The research I've read has been a little negative to be honest, so feeling a bit nervous.

Just had this procedure done. While swallowing and breathing through my nose is a little difficult, the rest is okay. My Uvula is so swollen that I can't sleep on my back and breath. Weird, but true. Believe it or not, I have more pain in my ears than in my throat and I can't help but feel that this was the best move for me at this time. two weeks of moderate pain vs. 4 days of Strep every other month is a good return on investment. I am actually back at work 5 Days post op.

The procedure mentioned is quick and done as outpatient here in the US. Seems to be pretty common and my only concern at this point is the scab's falling off. I guess that is due just about any time now.

.

I had this op 18 months ago and have to go back for a total tonsilectomy in 2 weeks time.

Recovery is quick 2 weeks, pain is limited. Lots of scabbing but nothing to be worried about. Operation is not always successful and in some cases like mine you have to go back and get the things removed

i am on day 5 of recovery. my surgeon used the coblator. the first day was HORRIBLE. i woke up the next day and had less than half the pain from the day before. i can talk without pain and it barely sounds like i have a cold. one of my scabs fell off last night. it was disgusting, yet painless. it was very hard to drink the first day and a half, but after that, once again, it just feels like a cold or flu. i had ear pain too, so i would guess its normal. my biggest problem: IM STARVING! i want hard tacos and nachos, and everything i cant have right now. the good news: yesterday, i was able to eat a soft taco from taco bell. small bites and chew well. it was beautiful. i would guess if you think you can eat it, you can. just be careful. i have heard other peoples stories but all the coblator stories are fairly painless(after the first 24-36 hrs.)

DRINK 64+ OUNCES OF WATER A DAY AND YOU WILL BE GREAT!

Would anyone care to share their age? I think that's important to correlating difficulty in recover.

i am 30 and about to have coblation tonsillectomy. Ive heard horror stories about the surgery, but like was stated before, not too much about the coblation method being used. i, too would like to know the ages of the people who had an easy recovery, as it TOTALLY makes a difference. also, did any one have post op bleeding after coblation?

Help! I'm 55 and have chronic strep. The time has come to do something about this, but I'm sooo confused. I'm considering coblation or laser, but don't want to have to end up having them removed in a traditional way. Can anyone offer some advice???? :$

I don't know if it really matters what method is done. I had the coblation tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I am 27. I haven't had any bleeding, and I've been talking okay.

To me, it really all depends on your attitude. Sure, I could be lying here in misery, but I've accepted that this recovery is a little slow, will be hard, and I can't expect to be pain-free.

Staying up with the pain meds helps. I agree that my ears seem to hurt more. Just sitting here, I'm not in pain. But swallowing is really hard. I tried mashed potatoes last night and it really scratched. So, I'm taking a couple steps back and I'm just going to drink protein shakes for a couple days. I don't want my scabs to come off too early.

It isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Just put ice on your neck twice a day (I use frozen peas), relax in bed. Drink lots of water and gatorade if you can. Take your medicine.

You also might want to talk to your doctor about colace, as the pain meds cause some lovely constipation.

Hi I'm 24 and had my coblation tonsillectomy done 5 days ago. I am in so much pain, the earache is the worst. My dr gave me co-dydramol and diclofenac but they are not helping me much at all. Day 1 and 2 were ok, I was eating a little (only managing to swallow with water), days 3, 4 and today have been agonising. I have been bleeding since day1, choking on it in the night as well, the bleeding has slowed down now, but I am still getting a lot of phlem with blood in it. I am so unhappy, I spent yesterday crying my heart out, I'm not the soft type and normally handle pain very well, I've had a baby naturally, it took 15 hours, I'd rather do that again!!!!!!
Did anyone else who has had this surgery see any puss round the wound and back of the mouth? Its been there since day1 and is steadily getting worse, spreading to the roof of my mouth. I'm wondering if I have caught an infection?! Which would not surprise me as I'm very prone to infections.

I dont have any support which is probably making me feel worse. I'm going to see my GP tommorow, hoping they will give me something a lot stronger for the pain. Does anyone have any suggestions for pain relief, in my ears especially, I cant even talk. I wonder if they will give me anything for an infection?

Any suggestions for what I can eat, I find potatoes of any form are very painful. I expected it to be painful of course, no surgery is painless, I've had some pretty major surgeries in the last 3 years, this one being the lowest priority and supposidely the least painful! My backside!!!! Personally I dont think it's got anything to with attitude, the pain is not phycological, its physical. Recovery for everone is different, everyone has different levels of tolernce.

Just to let you all know, I did visit my gp this morning and I have an infection in my ears and throat. I was also informed by my gp that not only did I have had a coblation tonsilectomy, but that I also had coblation assisted reduction of tongue and nasal turbinates. Hence why I may be suffering a little more than normal.

Some antibiotics and stronger paunkillers for another week should hopefuly do the trick.

Hope I havent put any of you off, as I would do this a million times over if it meant I'd never get tonsilitis again!! Its definatly worth it.

I am 19 years old and 9 days post-op..i'm acutally getting ready to go to my follow up appointment in an hour.

day 1-- not bad. the anthestitics were still flowin in me pretty good.

i honestly slept almost all day everyday for the first 4 days...i would wake up every 4-5 hours automatically--take my meds--get an icepack..drink a bottle of water and go back to sleep

days 5-6 HELL--your ears wil start to hurt bad...your mentality will have begun to weaken...

YOU HAVE GOT TO REMEMBER THAT ITS WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN! ...i am a very upbeat/positive person and day 6 i was in tears feeling like i would never get better. FALSE.

it's day 9...my scabs are still there for the most part...ear pain...

waking up is the WORST you NEED to stay hydrated and keep lots of water by your bedside...if you can find a HUMIDIFIER it helps at night to keep your throat moist! that is VERY helpful!

i was very ambitious about eating.i didn't want to get all skinny & weak and not eating wouldn't help me get better..i ate noodles and tuna day 2...i pushed through the pain..it was def. worth it! Most people i've talked to are amazed at how well i'm doing for day 9 and even at day 4 was ok...its a rollercoaster..be prepared to feel ok one day and wake up feeling god awful the next.

9/10 relaity is perception..you have GOT TO STAY POSITIVE!

i read pages and pages of blogs like these before mine and even after...its comforting to knwo that other ppl know what youre going through and that you're not nuts for thinking this is so awful... but also remember everyones surgery is different

i got COBLATION..i didnt bleed in surgery and luckily havnet bled at all!! =)

ICE PACKS!!! LOTS on your neck helps the swelling and usually helped me fall asleep!! so ICE ICE ICE! outside of neck!

another thing is the "smart water" with electrolytes is good for you too!

if u wanna try eating but it hurts..try forcing food down if you can right before you take your pain meds..it always toook the edge off for me.

day 9 and i'm now taking 3 extra strength tylenols every 5 or so hours..it helps keep the edge off..still uncomfortable but getting ready to roadtrip from cleveland to toledo&dayton. i would be uncomfortable sitting at home or on the road....its what you make of it

but defintaly keep your head up & have good support system around you! its a tough 2 weeks...they arent joking when they say it hurts & sucks but well all be so much better off in the long run!

I am age 26 and an great health, other than enlarged tonsils that kept me from sleeping well at night. My ENT recommended Coblation Tonsillectomy. I got it done Thursday (5 days ago.)

Thursday (day of surgery) - Got home and it hurt really bad to swallow, but drank tons of water, just like the instructions said to do. Drowsy from the general anesthesia. Diet was water and a light dannon yogurt product. Little bit of blood left over from the surgery when I spit.

Friday - Swallowing only hurt when dry, so I made myself drink a bottle (16 oz) water every two hours. This really helped a lot. I also took the pain medicine every 4 hours, setting an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night. I didn't feel pain, but just the discomfort of a dry throat if I didn't hydrate properly. Diet consisted of Yogurts, water, and was able to down some ramen noodles. Little bit of blood when I spit.

Saturday - Very little swallowing pain, terminated pain medication, and felt alert enough to drive quite a bit, ran errands. Very little to no more blood coming up when releasing mucus and stuff. Able to consume Ramen, Yogurts, (slowly) Mac and Cheese, and I also made a porridge dish and put cooked turkey / ham in a blender, and threw it in the bowl. Went down just fine, and was an excellent source of protein.

Sunday - Same as Saturday, but added Guacamole to my diet

Monday - Ate Rice and Beans at a mexican restaurant; covered it in nacho cheese to help it go down. had a friend look down my throat, and no visible scabs or blood, but the walls where my tonsils were, well they were discolored white. Continued to hydrate copiously.

tuesday (today) - I returned to an abbreviated workout regimen (I am a trainer so i knew how to ramp up) with some aerobics and simple stuff - rode on the bike and did crunches. Diet expanded to Beef and Chicken enchiladas! Tomorrow will probably start with soft Fish.

The whole time, every day I drank a glass of juice; I use Jack LaLane's juicer and that was how I got my vegetables into the diet. Overall I really recommend doing the Coblation technique, especially if tonsil removal will improve your health. I would say that my recovery was significantly quicker and more pain free than what you see online from others; the Coblation method and hydration probably have a lot to do with it

Good luck!

im 13 & just got my tonsils & adenoids removed a week ago today. (friday) it was pretty painful.
i woke up to the nurse feeding me a popsicle, lol. but anyway. the first few days were painful. with throat pain, dizziness,
ear ache and headache. but around the 3rd and 4th day i was feeling good & even went shopping. (even though i was supposed to be resting, but i wanted to take advantage of feeling good, since the doctor said id start feeling even worse around the 5th day. ) and that was so true. i felt horrible from day 5 til now. which is day 7. im gradually getting better. i just cant wait til i can eat anything & do whatever again. &yell at my brothers :-) haha just kidding.

who else had this done & what was your story ?
:-)