I have recently had two surgeries for cancer of the thyroid. Since the surgery and radioactive iodine therapy treatments, I suddenly will experience swollen lymph nodes under my left and right ear. This happens only on occasion and then will disappear within a matter of hours. Is this normal? What could be going on? Thank you.

Hi Hon: As you are aware when anyone has Radiation or Chemotherapy, the body is taken down to a low state. THUS the chances of getting infection. I would REALLY hazzard a guess that because theis swelling comes and goes, it is your body's defence system surging to an area and then backing off. Kind of like a caged animal, it's been held back for so long that as soon as it's let out, it comes a charging. When it feels like there is not a threat, it will retreat. Swollen Lymph nodes, are usually the 1st sign of infection. So think about that too, are you feeling like a cold coming on or anything like that? It will take sometime for your body to come back after this battle! If you are really concerned hon, call your doctor and just mention what is going on. He might want to have you checked up on. But I really think that it is just your body, coming back to it's former glory. And just think of this - to put your mind at ease a bit - that "Serious" things don't come and go! They stay around OK? Good luck hon, and I send you out all the wishes for good health and conquering this illness!!! Like I said, if you are still worred, it is always best to get checked out by a doctor, puts your mind at ease. Let me know how things are going OK?