I have had trouble logging on. I am trying it again. Thank you for reading.
I have been walking on a 4 mm. separation lisfranc injury for about 10 months now due to misdiagnosis. I finally went to Duke and the surgeon there planned on operating two weeks ago to do open reduction and insert a couple of screws and a metal plate on top of my foot where the cartilage used to be. I had a torn meniscus so he operated on my knee first. He said yesterday that I could continue walking on the injured foot because it was not a terrible separation and I don't have bad pain. It hurt for several months but now the pain is gone and it just tingles occassionally. He ordered an orthotic and said I could have surgery when I wanted it. I teach school and I really hate to miss the opening weeks of school.
I am asking for people with knowledge of lisfranc injuries to chime in on my situation please. Thank you.

hi there, you can walk without pain on this injury, have you ever had pain with this injury and if so, can you describe it. The pain i'm feeling changes from day to day and with the footwear i am in.

Hi. I have had a Lisfranc injury since November of 2009. I fell from a ladder, about 12 feet. It was not diagnosed ( because local ortho.doctors didn't x-ray my foot while I was standing on it) until June of 2010. I finally went to Duke and had Dr. Easley look at it. He has a wonderful reputation as an orthopedic surgeon. He immediately said, upon seeing the xrays that finally showed the injury, that it needed stabilizing with screws, plate, etc. Then he noticed my other leg had problems. I had hurt my knee recently and he ordered an MRI. He had already scheduled surgery for my foot, at my request after he said it needed surgery, in three days. He then changed the surgery from foot to knee and did a "scope" on my right knee. He and his PA said I would not want my left foot to have to heal with a bad meniscus on my right knee. I had a lot of pain from the surgery and called them several times after the surgery. He and the PA, Beth Turner, said it was normal. I was chided for calling Ms. Turner several times when I feared a blod clot. She said I had called more than any patient she had ever treated. Then I went back for a six week checkup with Dr. Easley. I had a lot of pain and was worse off than before the surgery, in my opinion. He showed no concern or empathy. He even joked about some of my concerns. I left feeling that the Duke Ortho. folks did not care a bit about my situation. Many of my friends had the scope surgery and were fine after a couple of months. I fenally went to two other doctors about my knee and they said that because the meniscus had been trimmed, there was nothing to do but live with it and wait until it finally hurt so badly that I would want a replacement. I asked the Dr. and the PA about the increased pain for three months after the surgery. She and the Doctor both kept saying that it was arthritis in that knee. I asked why I didn't suffer before the surgery? They only said it was arthritis causing the trouble. It makes no sense to me, whatsoever. I have arthritis but the meniscus pain is different. SO....my Lisfranc foot continued as it had been for more than a year by this tme. It hurt but not as badly as it did during the first 10 months. I finally found an expert, Dr. Anderson, in Charlotte and made an appointment for March. This was in December. He takes care of the foot problems for the Carolina Panthers and the Cleveland Browns. I got to see him last week. He sat down, listened , and showed concern. Imagine that? He explained that because the injury was so old that surgery could be done but was not necessary if I could live with the pain. He said that the pain often improves after 18 months to two years. He said an injection of cortisone would probably help if I needed it and often the pain would not return. He said that because the knee still is not normal, to do the foot would not really improve my quality of life that much to warrant the serious foot surgery. He suggested waiting and see how things went. He was very conservative.
Please understand that Dr. Easley said I could elect to not have the surgery on the foot but he did not say the pain might lessen over time. He only said the option of no surgery as a response to some of my questions about recovery with the foot surgery. He was, in my opinion, flippant and unconcerned. I understood from him that the best option was the surgery. I accept the responsibility but he did not really take time to talk out the situation with me. I felt he was rushing me every minute I was in the room with him. The knee surgery was his idea as well. I wish I had waited to see if the knee would heal on its own. I asked him and he said it would not. I felt from Dr. Easley's advice that surgery was the best answer to my problems.
Dr. Anderson did not think so. I only wish I had known about Dr. Anderson before I met Dr. Easley. The pain was bad for the first 9 or ten months.in my foot but time helped. Now I have a painful meniscus as well as a Lisfranc injury and I spent more than 14.000 dollars for my trouble.
Dr. Anderson said he has patients in the NFL that have worse injuries than mine, 4 mm separation in the joint, who still play professionally. I feel much better about my options now and I know I have a conservative, knowledgeable, and caring doctor to consult in the furture.
I said a lot here because I have wanted to vent for some time. Forgive me. I suggest that before you have surgery, and you may very well need it, see a doctor such as Dr. Anderson. He also suggested Sketchers for footwear. Oh, Dr. Easley did prescribe an orthotic insert for the Lisfranc which helps. Dr. Anderson said it was very good. No more tennis or running or even standing for long times but I can live my life as a teacher, husband, and father, without too much pain. The pain does change from day to day and some days I have to limp. Other days I walk almost normally. The orthotic is a must. The injection suggested by Dr. Anderson is always an option. It has to be done with a florascope in order to direct the needle. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. I feel that I have been through a terrible time with this but I know there are many Lisfranc injuries that are much worse. I am thankful I can still walk after falling from that ladder.

Hi, thankyou for replying to my post. I can totally understand where your anger comes from. And don't appoligise, i feel very angry too that this injury can turn my life upside down like it has. I am waiting to see my consultant in june and hopefully, it will be good news. Really appreciate your experiance and will ask more questions when i see my doctor. Think for now the moto is NO PAIN NO GAIN. But i also no what questions i can ask and also the correct footwear to wear.
thankyou again for replying. Take care of yourself