For anyone having recently suffered a lisfranc fracture, I strongly suggest you consider Dr. Armendariz at TOCA in Arizona if your injury requires surgical repair.

As a very active 31 yo, I was frightened at the potentially disabling prognosis of this serious injury. I performed extensive research to find the best orthopedic surgeon to insure the best outcome. All roads led to Dr. Armendariz. Entering my decision was the fact that he is the orthopod for the Suns ($$$insured$$$ professional atheletes).

Dr. Armendariz was able to achieve "excellent reduction" of my significantly displaced 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals in the ORIF procedure. Other surgeons I consulted with wanted to use screws, but instead I have an arthrex tight rope (no screw loosening/removal : ).

I am 4 mos. post-op now , I've been walking again for 2 mos. after 3 mos. of crutches, and I am sooooooo very pleased with how well I am doing. I've resumed most all of my favorite activities, including running, hiking and cycling. I've some lost endurance and grace/fluidity of movement, and the pain and swelling are still resolving, but this is minor compared to how these injuries commonly turn out.

Dr. Armendariz expects l will have a continued excellent recovery, which is all I have hoped for since day 1 of this lisfranc ordeal.

If you want the best, go see Dr. Armendariz!!

How are you doing now? Do you still have the pain in your foot? I've never heard of the ORIF procedure you had... I wonder if that would have made a difference for me... or if maybe I can suggest it to my doctor.

I do have some pains still. They range from sharp and shooting, to cramping and achey. Also my foot is stiff and tender in the morning until walked on a bit. It's not enough to compel to take me medication, and it does not interfere with my lifestyle, but it is something there daily..in the background. I still think I have fared better than average according to all I have read, but I've accepted that a 100% recovery is just not realistic with this type of injury.
I wish you the best!

Lisfranc surgery is the new treatment paradigm for lisfrancs (used since 2007), moving from a traditional method of rigid fixation to a new dynamic, flexible means of reduction. Studies have reported outcomes as superior to fixation with screws. As with any new paradigm, widescale adoption is a slow process, but I suspect this will become standard surgical repair for lisfranc fractures/dislocations.

I'll post again with some links to primary literature on the subject if I can turn anything up. Those who were the first to receive this treatment are ~2 years post op now and I'm very curious to know if their experiences have been as positive as mine.

How long ago was your injury?

I fell of the stairs a month ago, and was misdiagnosed in the A&E department and put in a cast. Since the pain and swelling continued, I went to see the specialist and was told that I need an operation and have to now decide within a very short time, which consultant to choose, in London.
I would really appreciate if you can recommend me an experienced food and ankle specialist orthopedic surgeant...