I really need to get some info on sleep disorders in nine-year olds. I am 35 year old and have two sons. Younger one is nine years old and he has nightmares. They usually happen in first couple of hours of sleep. He wakes up and can not fall asleep for at least an hour. What am I supposed to do?. Both my husband and I are tired, and I cannot even imagine how our son must feel. He says that he is all right, but it does not appear to me so.

Sleep disorders in nine-year olds are not that rare. Nightmares, actually, happen all the time at all age. But I have to admit that watching little children suffer from their dreams could be really stressful for parents. My advice would be not to wake him, but to stay with him after he has woken, until he falls asleep again. Nightmares are probably caused by some stressful situation and until the effects of it do not pass, nightmares will not either. It usually lasts for couple of months.